Northwestern Supplement- Utilizing the resouces at NW

Linnus 6 / 89  
Prompt: What are the unique qualities of Northwestern - and of the specific undergraduate school to which you are applying - that make you want to attend the University? In what ways do you hope to take advantage of the qualities you have identified?

A distinctive feature of Northwestern University is its quarter system. The quarter system will allow me to accelerate in my studies. By utilizing the quarter system and the combined BS/MS program offered at Northwestern's McCormick School, I will be able to graduate with a masters degree in engineering within four years. This program gives me a sufficient amount of time to experience the four-year college life. In addition to the master's degree, I will be able to do at least one internship during the four years. This is important to me because I believe a practical approach to learning is vital.

Also, I noticed that there is something different about Northwestern University from all the other universities: Northwestern deeply cares about its undergraduates. The easy-to-use undergraduate website that Northwestern provides and the fact that over 97% of undergraduate courses at Northwestern are taught by its faculty are all evidence to support my belief. This means that I will not be getting a hastily education from Northwestern via the quarter system, but instead an intellectually challenging and fast paced learning experience, which is exactly what I want.

In addition to the superior education Northwestern offers, the wealth of clubs and community service opportunities will provide me with an ample amount of leadership opportunity and chances to give back to the community of Evanston and Chicago. By developing my leadership skills through involvement in the community and school, I will have obtained a skill that is crucial to any successful engineers. Involvement will also allow me to broaden my network, which is crucial to anyone that wants to be successful in the future.

Furthermore, one cannot overlook the importance of the diversity that Northwestern offers. By working with a diverse group of students, I can learn the different points of views and solutions to engineering problems, which will broaden my horizon and allow me to think more creatively. Also, interacting with students of different cultural backgrounds will allow me to improve my social skills which will better prepare me for the future.

Lastly, the McCormick School is a first class engineering school. I believe the School will teach me how to blend ideas with math and science to create innovative products. By taking advantage of the undergraduate research opportunity that is available to its students, I can pursue my interest into a deeper level. The research opportunity will not only prepare me for graduate school, but also it will give me a deepen understanding of the engineering topic that I will pursue by working in close proximity with a Northwestern professor.

The amount of opportunities available at Northwestern is unparalleled. The convenient location along with a diverse student body and club choices coupled with a first class education is what ultimately attracted me to the school.

Any suggestion is welcome. I need to make it longer. Also I think it is rather weak and choppy as it stands. The conclusion need some work too I believe... I know there is bound to a lot of grammar mistakes.
This means that I will not be getting a hasty education from Northwestern via the quarter system, but instead an intellectually challenging and fast paced learning experience, which is exactly what I want.

By developing my leadership skills through involvement in the community and school, I will have obtained a skill that is crucial to any successful engineer .

One cannot overlook the importance of the diversity that Northwestern offers.

The research opportunity will not only prepare me for graduate school, but also it will give me a deeper understanding of the engineering topic that I will pursue by working in close proximity with a Northwestern professor.

The amount of opportunities available at Northwestern is unparalleled. The convenient location along with a diverse student body and club choices along with a first class education is what ultimately attracted me to the school.

Good essay!!

:)

Home / Undergraduate / Northwestern Supplement- Utilizing the resouces at NW