Notre Dame- How are you different from your peers.....

triplem29 1 / 2  
Please...I waited until the last minute and need some help...
be as brutal as possible...i think its too long but
i need some feed back...

its the how are you different essay...

Every person is made up of a particular set of attributes that, in essence, create a unique and exclusive personality. It is when these personalities and these attributes interact that a truly distinct culture emerges. In that sense, there is something unique that I offer to my school, community, and culture; something so invariably different from my peers that I would lose my individuality without it. I like to think that this quality of mine is my determination to make the most of any situation presented to me. As opposed to being satisfied with mediocre work or giving up when the going gets tough, I strive to be the best and work until full completion. As well, I like to think that I am a natural, gregarious leader; one who sets the example for his peers and works hard to help others succeed. I believe that these two qualities blend together, forming my own perspective on life, one that, although unique to me, has an impact on those around me.

Throughout my junior and senior year I have been the captain of my school's Science Olympiad team. It was through this appointment of leadership that my talents truly manifested. In 2008, my Science Olympiad team had qualified for the state tournament for the first time in the school's history. We were thrilled that we had finally established a reputation in the Science Olympiad world, one that we had fought for earnestly. However, we feared the worst for the following season because of one detrimental feature of our team at the time: of the 14 team members, 7 were seniors. We thought that, with that foundation of the team gone, we would never qualify for the state tournament again. So it was with a mood of despair and doubt that the team entered the 2009 season. I knew that I was responsible for the team's morale and I knew that I had to do something to raise their confidence. So I did the only thing I could think of -- I studied and worked harder than ever before. I told them all that the only way we could be as good as last year was if we worked harder. They told me I was crazy and that there was no way that we would do well. At last, I told the team that we had three options, one of which they should strive to achieve: they could study hard and win, they could complain about the team and lose, or they could quit. I knew that none would quit, the bond between the team was too strong for giving up. So that left only two options, win or lose. Needless to say, I think my speech did a little more for the team than I thought it would. We went on that year to place third at regionals and qualify for the state tournament again, despite the initial doubts the team had.

This experience thoroughly exemplifies my diligence and determination to overcome adversity and negativity. At the same time, it epitomizes my personality in that it shows that, although faced with countless impediments, I strive to be the best at what I do. Unlike my peers, I choose to go beyond what is expected of me. Most of my friends settle for average and mediocre. -- they don't challenge the stereotypes that are placed upon them and live up to the reputation that is so characteristic of East Chicago teens. The big difference between myself and my peers is my dedication to my studies and how I implement my knowledge to reach my goals. During my junior year, I chose to double up in science and take both Honors Physics and AP Biology -- which left me without a science class during my senior year. Because science is my most cherished subject, I tried to rekindle an AP Chemistry class that been offered at my school in the past, however, not enough students enrolled in the class so my school chose not to offer it this year. I refused to give up though. Through some research and after talking to many different administrators, I eventually enrolled in an AP Chemistry class offered at a neighboring high school. The course is so important to me because I hope to eventually major in chemistry, and I know that my interest in chemistry and gaining knowledge are prime examples of how dedicated I am to achieving my goals.

It was from my experience in Science Olympiad and my realization that I am fundamentally different from my peers that I developed a new perspective on life, and even success. Prior to Science Olympiad, I doubted myself entirely too much. The experiences I have faced have helped me grow as an individual and realize that, despite my surroundings, I have the potential for success. It is with this perspective that I believe I can contribute much to the Notre Dame community. I can carry the same inspiration and dedication that I exhibit towards Science Olympiad to Notre Dame, and in fact anywhere else. I will provide a perspective to classes and clubs that challenges widely held stereotypes. As well, coming from East Chicago adds a dynamic component to who I have grown to be. It is not easy to resist the lure of trouble and violence that plagues the streets of my hometown, but still I have defied these obstacles through sheer determination. My determination for success can help raise Notre Dame to an even higher pedestal. My determination and potential for success coupled with a Notre Dame education can provide a personality unparalleled to any other seen by the university.
OP triplem29 1 / 2  
maochinesechick
dude your a freakin beast. I dont know how much help ill be to you...but i seriously CANNOT thank you enough.
maochinesechick 3 / 4  
LOL no problem, i really enjoyed reading your essay. I could really take some pointers from you, my writing never seems to flow at all. I seriously hate how all the colleges made their deadlines on the same friggin day...

Home / Undergraduate / Notre Dame- How are you different from your peers.....