NYU Short Answers--(singing, bicycle, summer vacation)

mgbinger 1 / 1  
You have been selected to sing in a talent show. What song would you choose? Why?

Singing is not my forte, but music has an important role in my everyday life. It gets me ready for races, helps me through tough homework, and just brightens my day. Although I wouldn't be able to emulate Natasha Bedingfield's singing ability, I would choose her uplifting song, "Unwritten." Its lyrics remind me that only I can live my life, so I should live it for myself and no one else. "Feel the rain on your skin, no one else can feel it for you, only you can let it in," are words that everyone can take time to think about. Individually, we often have little control over what may be thrown our way, but we can control how we respond to every situation. Bedingfield sings, "Today is where your book begins." Each day is a new one and I am ready to take advantage of every single day.

Please tell us what led you to select your anticipated academic program and/or NYU school/college, and what interests you most about your intended discipline.

I have many different passions and interests and have not yet narrowed them down to one specifically. I want to attend New York University to continue my journey of self-discovery. The College of Arts and Sciences is a perfect fit for me because the Morse Academic Plan will allow me to explore a variety of subjects that I am interested in. I am both mature and disciplined enough to take full advantage of the opportunities that NYU has to offer its students.

In addition to any work experience that you listed on your application, please tell us how you spent your most recent summer vacation.--I need to cut this one down a lot, and I don't really like it at all.

Calming bicycle rides, rambunctious kids, and exciting adventures made this past summer vacation one I will never forget. I woke up early to bicycle to the pool each morning to teach swimming lessons in the morning. Before heading back to the pool to coach youth swimming I spent a few hours relaxing out on the Mississippi River with my friends. I then rushed to the soccer fields to coach youth soccer. I had from eight until midnight on weeknights to play board games, roast marshmallows, or have a movie marathon with my friends. My weekends were filled with all kinds of adventures ranging from out-of-state canoe races to cabin getaways. My summer came to a close with a hiking and whitewater rafting trip in Colorado.

Describe a trait or characteristic that has been passed along to you by your family. Tell us why you like or dislike this aspect of yourself.

My grandmother, Polly, and I have much more in common than our rhyming first names. She passed a characteristic down to me that has served me very well in these first years of my life and will in the future. Polly was both curious and brave. She was nineteen when she left North Dakota for the first time and entered an entirely different world. No one could believe that after visiting Fargo only once, she had moved to New York City by herself. I take after my grandmother in that aspect and it has made me the strong, passionate person I am today.

--Thank you so much.
christineg711 2 / 23  
I really like all of your answers!

I woke up early to bicycle to the pool each morning to teach swimming lessons in the morning .
... coach youth swimming, I spent a few hours relaxing out on the Mississippi River with my friends.
... or have a movie marathon with my friends.(since you're on a character limit, maybe you should cut this down to something more general)

I'm not sure if that brings you down to your limit, sorry. Also, I really liked that answer! It has personality and isn't just "I did this and this..."

Good luck!
OP mgbinger 1 / 1  
Thank you =) That did help a lot
You write very well... not seeing any errors yet...

How about:

I have the necessary maturity, discipline, and determination to take full advantage of the opportunities that NYU has to offer its students.

She passed two characteristics down to me that has served me very well in these first years of my life -- and will continue to do so in the future. Polly was both curious and brave. ...

GREAT!! Good luck in school, Molly!!!
Molly and Christine, please check out the contributor page (link at the bottom of the screen), because you could both benefit others as EF contributors. Also, it looks good on applications...

:)

kevin

Home / Undergraduate / NYU Short Answers--(singing, bicycle, summer vacation)