NYU SCPS - Kick in the Teeth

jbow808 2 / 5  
Prompt: The Admissions Committee wants to learn more about you. Please submit a typewritten statement of at least 350 words that describes
anything about you that you think we should know. When reviewing your personal statement, we hope to understand what you have learned
from your experiences and how you have arrived at this point of interest in applying to McGhee.

"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me . . . You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." - Walt Disney

My wife wrote these words on a set of index card she sent to me to countdown my last deployment; however, I never really understood their context until now. Since my honorable discharge from the Navy in 2008, I've been working towards seeking admission to a four-year university to complete my bachelors degree in preparation for a career as veterans rights advocate.

Throughout my academic journey, I've encountered many challenges. Experiences from my time in the service scared my psyche; however, with the assistance of my care providers, I'm free from its debilitating grasp. I've witnessed the ugly face of unemployment first-hand and the difficulties of translating my military experiences to the needs of corporate America, I also realized the push to hire "heroes" only applies to those with college degrees.

Despite these difficulties, my passion to help veterans in need hasn't waned. In fact, these challenges have only solidified my desire to change how veterans reintegrate into society. I've learned to view life's "roadblocks" as challenges that provide me the opportunity to grow as an individual, as a result I've found my purpose in life. This is why I am ready to attend New York University.

The Paul McGhee Division of NYU's School of Continuing and Professional Studies is an excellent fit because of its rigorous and stimulating curricula, enabling me to acquire valuable critical and analytical skills needed to transform the way returning veterans integrate back into society. Studying with like-minded cohorts and professors will provide me with necessary intellectual insight to energize and transform veteran transition programs by finding ways to address the emotional, psychological, social and professional barriers many veterans face when transitioning back to civilian life.

In essence, earning a degree from NYU not only benefits me - it provides the cornerstone to transforms the lives of hundreds of veterans. By taking courses such as Psychology and Culture, Language and Society, and Cities and Urban Life, I hope to find ways to solve the staggering unemployment problem affecting many of our nation's veterans. My studies will not only satisfy my intellectual curiosity, they will also serve to deepen my understanding of the world - providing powerful tools to make sense of the divide between military and civilian culture. My education will ensure future veterans will not have to face hardships I faced when leaving the military.

As Disney said, a kicked in the teeth has been the best thing to happen to me. I've worked hard to overcome challenges to complete my education. Instead of wallowing in self-pity, I've directed my frustration into a productive endeavor. NYU is the next step in my journey toward helping others and making my passion my profession.
My wife wrote these words on a set of index cards she sent to me to countdown my last deployment; however, I never really understood their context until now.

I've witnessed the ugly face of unemployment first-hand and the difficulties of translating my military experiences to the needs of corporate America, and I also realized the push to hire "heroes" only applies to those with college degrees.

I've learned to view life's "roadblocks" as challenges that provide me the opportunity to grow as an individual, and as a result, I've found my purpose in life.

In essence, earning a degree from NYU not only benefits me - it provides the cornerstone to transform the lives of hundreds of veterans.

My education will ensure that future veterans will not have to face the hardships I faced when leaving the military.

What a powerful essay! I feel that what you left out, say as much as what you wrote. Thank you, thank you, for what you're doing for veterans everywhere, and good luck with school.

:)
EricJ - / 48  
Hi, John,

Thanks for your service to our country.

Scarred has two r's.

I've learned to view life's "roadblocks" as challenges that provide me the opportunity to grow as an individual; as a result, I've found my purpose in life. This is why I am ready to attend New York University.

In essence, earning a degree from NYU not only benefits me - it also will benefit the hundreds of veterans whose lives I will change.

Personal taste, but I don't like "Instead of wallowing in self-pity..." It's too strong and too negative. The sentence is better if you drop that phrase.

Good luck,

Eric
gstransfer 2 / 5  
John, what a powerful essay! It's concise, to the point, and meaningful. Also John, on my essay you said you were considering applying to G.S. but you didn't take the sat. For people who didn't take the sat, columbia gives a test for G.S. applicants; you go in one day, take the test and leave... you dont have to prepare for it at all. That can be used instead of the sat. Also, they love veterans. So I would with out a doubt still apply to columbia as you seem to have a great story! Goodluck!

Home / Undergraduate / NYU SCPS - Kick in the Teeth