All NYU Personal Statement Prompts - "Movie, NYer, Poem, Summer and Major"

snorlaxative 4 / 17  
1. In addition to any work experience that you listed on your application, please tell us how you spent your most recent summer vacation.

A week-long, unprompted journey to the Adirondacks began my summer. Away from the city in the tranquility of the woods, I climbed mountains, crossed rivers and exerted myself beyond my own physical and mental limitations. My mornings, beginning in early July, were spent in the grueling heat of tough Soccer practices, running countless laps and drills. Toward the end of summer, I worked as a counselor in an orientation program geared to giving freshman an informed introduction to my high school. 500/500

2. If you had the opportunity to spend one day in New York City with a famous New Yorker, who would it be and what would you do? (Your New Yorker can be anyone -past or present, fictional or nonfictional - who is commonly associated with New York City; they do not necessarily have to have been born and raised in New York.)

No one represents the bohemian, free-thinking, and spontaneous New York as much as the members of the Beat Generation of the late 1950's. I would spend my day with one of the quintessential beats: Allen Ginsberg, Jack Kerouac, Neal Cassady, or William S. Boroughs, simply exploring the city. In Beat fashion, there would be no set plan, but an impulsive journey throughout the city: from festive Coney Island to the avante-garde streets of Brooklyn & the Village in search of hedonistic pleasures. 497/500

3. Write a haiku, limerick, or short (eight lines or less) poem that best represents you.

I am the wayfarer,
Lost in the tangents of the mind,
Driven by cerebral curiosity
I am the wayfarer, the gadabout,
To explore the city streets,
To hunt and inquire, leaving no stone unturned,
I am the wayfarer,
Lost in the endless trance,
of Self-Discovery. 256/500

4. In the year 2050, a movie is being made of your life. Please tell us the name of your movie and briefly summarize the story line.

The noir biopic chronicling the tale of private detective and investigative journalist Rory Bauers, a cum laude graduate of NYU Law School, "Never Sleeps" explores a man discovering the seamy underside of a city rife with crime, corruption, and a decadent lust for power. Through many trials and tribulations, the hardboiled protagonist wades through femme fatales and a spiderweb of deceit, in order to uncover an age old conspiracy that could prove disastrous to the essence and spirit of New York. 500/500

5. Please tell us what led you to select your anticipated academic program and/or NYU school/college, and what interests you most about your intended discipline.

I have decided to be undecided. My high school experience led me to branch out my interests in multiple directions, and I have become increasingly curious about the world around me. Due to my inquisitive nature, I feel that the College of Arts and Sciences is the best choice for me, as it will allow me to explore the myriad of highly regarded academic disciplines that NYU offers, and find my niche for both intellectual and personal growth.

Any comments, questions, mistakes?
Please leave any insight!
milano3215 4 / 14  
Your summer story is great because it doesn't sound like you were making a laundery list and actually goes into detail, compared with the short amount of space you have to write.

I've been looking around at other people's New Yorkers and Allen G has been popping up as a regular. I honestly don't know who he is but if you do want to make it more personal, please give more info on what you two would do vs how great he is.

I'm not good at poems but from what I take it, it seems insightful and it shows some of your own personality.

I really like the movie and how you incorporated the title of the movie into your summary. I didn't think of that. It's interesting and draws attention.

Your reason for going also reads well.

I'm applying to NYU too so if you can, can you take a look at my commonapp essay? I've posted an updated version called playdough and that is the one that I'm currently roughdrafting. thanks
mle2010 7 / 38  
All of your answers are written very well. I especially enjoyed your description of your dream lunch date. The only caution I have for you is in your movie synopsis, be careful about saying NYU law school. Just make sure you don't sound pretentious. Overall great job though!

Your summer summary seems a little disconnected. Here is just some suggestions for word choice and phrasing

A week-long, unprompted journey to the Adirondacks began my summer. Away from the city in the tranquility of the woods, I climbed mountains, crossed rivers and exerted myself beyond my own physical and mental limitations. Come July, though I was leaving nature, the intensity of my summer stayed high as soccer practices began.My mornings, beginning in early July, were spentI spent countless hours in the grueling heat of tough Soccer practices, running countless laps and drills. Then towards the end of my summer, I shared my enthusiasm and energy with others as I worked as a counselor in an orientation program geared to giving freshman an informed introduction to my high school.

Hope that helped. If you have time, please check out my essay, I need help.
Katsch 4 / 63  
I really like your writing! (Could be that I just have a favorable bias to your awesome username though) Nice job staying on target with those word limits, by the way.

But I have to agree with Emily's edits of the summer answer, there was a bit of mental whiplash in the lack of transitions.
OP snorlaxative 4 / 17  
Hey Emily, while I would love to make those modifications, it exceeds the stupid character limit. I had to cut down a lot of what I'd originally written for both the "day in NY" and summer one, but it makes sense with the volume of applications the school receives.

Home / Undergraduate / All NYU Personal Statement Prompts - "Movie, NYer, Poem, Summer and Major"