What part of us speaks to one genre, one beat, one sound? ; NYU supp- What intrigues?

malaikaiyer 6 / 13 4  
"Sh-sh shout! Shout! Shout at the devil!" Thud! "What was that?" cried my mother as she ran into the room with her brows furrowed, and her expression: worried. "Nothing" I responded. Her eyes glared over at the television; red lights pounded the screen with Mick Mars and Nikki Sixx shredding to their fingers' tips. "Turn off this noise!" I stood there, disillusioned, confounded, stammered as to how someone could deny the wonder that is, Red, White and CrĂźe. While they perform night after night, with the intensity of a heavy metal crowd following them, my DVR allows me to dive into a realm so deviant from a sixteen year old, high schooler's life. For hours, I learn about the greatness of Shakespeare, the wonder of fractals, the honor of Lincoln; and while such contributions have proved instrumental to our capabilities as humans now, we forget the importance of... nothing. Nothing: that which takes part in none other but instinct, the part that bears the weight of the human experience, and manages to carry it. How can it be that such an abstract concept glides through generations, races, and people? What part of our instinct allows us to jump into a pool of reality and fantasy all at once? What part of us speaks to at least one genre, one beat, one sound? Are we all, essentially the same? I might have just answered my own question.
katev 18 / 120 24  
"Nothing" I responded

Nothing," I responded.

shredding to their fingers' tips

shredding away at their guitars

deviant from a sixteen year old, high schooler's life.

different than a sixteen year old high schooler's life

Lincoln; and while such contributions have proved instrumental to our capabilities as humans now, we forget the importance of... nothing

Lincoln. While such contributions... we forget the importance of 'nothing.'

I might have just answered my own question.

I missed the answer...

Are you saying that the idea of 'nothing' intrigues you?
Not sure how your in depth description of your experience with Motley Crue contributes to your essay. I understand that was a break from school and a chance to feel "nothing," but I'm not convinced that they're correlated.
OP malaikaiyer 6 / 13 4  
well I wanted to show what intrigues me, and that was music. the answer was the pure nothingness of music. the fact that noise to one person is heaven for the other, and vice versa. the fact that we can't describe our attachment to a noise. would you know how I could convey that better? Should I take out the sentences about "nothing"? or can I just put "music is our nothing" in the middle?

"Nothing: that which takes part in none other but instinct, the part that bears the weight of the human experience, and manages to carry it. Music is our nothing."
valeriadavila01 9 / 17 2  
I really like your essay, but I'm a bit confused as to what intrigues you...at first it's music, but then you convert to 'nothing'.

If you can clarify as to what you are stating, then that would make all the difference!

Home / Undergraduate / What part of us speaks to one genre, one beat, one sound? ; NYU supp- What intrigues?