'my passion is trying to find my passion' - Common app essay

jinglethetingle 4 / 4  
I marked this to be a "topic of your choice".

"So what do you want to become when you grow up?" I cannot even count how many times I've heard this question, either coming from my teachers, counselors, or parents; heck, I bet even my neighbor's dog barked it to me at some point. After many years of facing such questions, I realized that it all boils down to one inquiry: "What's your passion?" I have never known what my passion is, but I have definitely looked to find it.

Music was my life when I was in junior high. I played the trombone, switched over to the snare drum, and then became a versatile percussionist through learning the marimba, timpani, and the drum set. As high school came along, though I decided to not continue with band, I continued to expand my "drumming vocabulary" by taking lessons with a private tutor. Today, my friends and I play songs by our favorite artists every time the opportunity arises.

The following year, I tried out for the tennis team since I have played for most of my childhood. While I always enjoyed playing the sport, after making the team, I fell in love with it. I loved the sound of the ball hitting the racket and the feel of the cool sweat trickling down my neck. I was always at practice working on my serve or trying to perfect my backhand. After the season was over, I played with my father nearly every summer day to improve, and by my junior year, I was named team captain.

Junior year was also the first year that I was part of my school's leadership class. I was the technical commissioner, a position that challenged me to learn a lot about light plots and how to enhance sound quality. However I realized that being on leadership was about much more than just your job description, it was also about helping other people. I would always lend a helping hand to other members of leadership, as well as to students on campus. I loved leadership and everything the class did for the campus and the community, and for that reason decided to run for school wide president. I was elected as president and am now working to give every student on campus a chance to shine.

Whenever my uncles or aunts asked me, "so what do you want to do when you grow up?" I would always answer by saying, "I haven't the slightest clue." And to be honest, I thought I didn't. I didn't know what my passion was, and I didn't really have a driving force. However, recently, I decided to take a journey through my life to flesh out exactly what it is that I want to do. What I learned on the way, however, is that through my pursuing my passion, I had the opportunity to make memories and build experiences that define me.

Now I know that my passion is trying to find my passion. I also know that college is the perfect opportunity to discover it.
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  
Wow! Your essay is very well written- outstanding actually. You make it very clear that you have great passion for life and excel at many things that you love to do. If I were you, I would add in a sentence about the college you are applying to, explain how that particular school can assist you in your journey of life. You present the college with your plan (to find passion)...but you may want to add a reason why college will be a "stepping stone" in your long term goals. You may want to briefly state what interests you about college as well (unless you have done this in another essay on the same app) but it does look good when you write about the college itself. Good luck to you, and congrats on your achievements!

Home / Undergraduate / 'my passion is trying to find my passion' - Common app essay