Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

"Perseverance and failure can not coexist." - UC PROMPT 2

ZJerry 2 / 1  
Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud, and how does it relate to the person you are?"

Perseverance and failure can not coexist. Failure only happens when one decides to stop trying and quit. The personal quality that I hold with high regard is that I see challenges as opportunities and I have the perseverance to accomplish my goals. I will try my hardest to accomplish what I truly desire in spite of counterinfluences, opposition, or discouragement.

I have hated challenges for the most part of my life, but as I grew older and wiser, I found that challenges are opportunities, for me to grow and learn, to strengthen myself. I now understand the old saying "nothing worthwhile comes easy" when I work hard for something and see it manifest before my eyes, I get a powerful sense of pride and accomplishment. I now see that challenges are blessings to test how badly I wanted to accomplish my goals, and how hard I am willing to work for them.

During my freshmen year, I came across a wonderful piece of instrument, the guitar. I was captivated when silence changed to music at the flick of my fingers. Before I know it, I spent hours online for guitar related videos; I had ignited a passion for the guitar. When I first started to play, my fingers were the first to give in, the strings left deep marks that stained for days, and the disjointed notes I called "music" was simply unbearable. It seemed to be hopeless, the challenges seem to be overwhelming, I wanted to take the easy way out, just admit defeat and quit, but I did not let defeat get the best out of me, I asked myself, will you get flustered, or will you get determined? Will you cry, or will you roll up your sleeves and get to work? My strong preserve nature rose up and I developed a steely determination to not be beaten. After months of hard work and countless hours practicing, I learned my first song, when I picked the last note in the melody, the tone sounded so sweet, or maybe it was just the satisfaction of my hard work paying off. After two years of continuous practice, I felt so confident that I enrolled in the Annual Chinese Cultural Festival representing my music school. From this valuable experience, not only I have became a skilled guitar player, I have once again learned the importance of perseverance

I find the biggest challenge is having positive attitude towards obstacles. While some people take a victim mentality when obstacles arise, I look at them as blessing of opportunities make myself stronger. I challenge myself to figure out a solution, to find a path, no matter how difficult it might seem. In fact, whenever I feel like giving up I pretend there is a great critic up in the sky who laughs mockingly at me, with a face that says "you can never do that." I simply look back with a wicked grin, roll up my sleeves and say, and "Just watch me!"

please help me point out any mistakes, and comment on the contents.

thank you very very much
your help will be very much appreciated

Home / Undergraduate / "Perseverance and failure can not coexist." - UC PROMPT 2