Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Playing the role of audience - My UC #2 essay

ppplrrr 1 / -  
Would you please review my essay?

I have always played the role of audience in any kind of talent shows. This is not because I do not have talent. In contrast, I am often described as a very talented student. Unlike those who have talents in sports or performance can present their ability on the stage, I cannot present my talent on the stage because my talent is about numbers. I am talented in mathematics.

I have showed special gift in mathematics ever since primary school. And I love mathematics because of its mercurial nature. Unlike other subjects like history and English which are studies of unchangeable facts, we can develop various kinds of questions through a few simple formulas. And I can find out numerous creative solutions for one question. I can always derive aesthetic pleasure from the simplicity and creativity of mathematic problems. My math talent enables me to become every math teacher's favorite student.

As I grow older, the math problems I was working on became more and more difficult. I had to spend much time in a single problem. The odds were that the pleasure I got form these more difficult ones did not increase as the difficulty. Though I still enjoyed doing them and could derive pleasure from the process, I sometimes wondered what the use of proving problems like the prime numbers are infinite. I began to question the practicality of mathematics.

Many of my friends did not have this question. They could simply enjoy the mathematic beauty. Finally I decided to ask my math teacher, who influenced me greatly. He told me, "That you do not see its usage does not mean it does not exist." Thinking about his words, I went to look for the practicality of mathematics. The result really surprised me. I suddenly discovered so many fields of practical math. For instance, I use calculus to do physics problems, I need algebra to solve chemistry equations, and I apply probability to genetics. This discovery unveiled a completely new world to me. I eventually found out a way of applying my math talent to practical areas.

The usage of math becomes more obvious to me as time passes. Physics, Chemistry and other sciences all need math as a fundamental tool. For me, math is not only an interesting subject in which I am talented now, but also a useful tool I can use in real life. I explored various fields of practical math such as Economics, finance and actuarial science. I took AP Physics and AP Biology in school. In my summer school, I studied Economics and Decision Making, both requiring the usage of mathematics. Last summer I also did an internship in a financial company about insurance and actuary. I explored all these fields because I want to make good use of my talent to benefit the real world. This is the motivation of my academic pursuit of mathematics.

During my exploration, I am really surprised that how much information people could figure out from those seemingly simple charts and numbers. With my own eyes, I see what math can do for our society and how important it is in real world. This leads me to choose Applied Mathematics as my major in order to utilize my talent for the benefit of the society.

Home / Undergraduate / Playing the role of audience - My UC #2 essay