'Playing video games' + 'The Comparative Media Studies' + 'Curiosity' - MIT

manik1694 1 / 1  
I have corrected as many mistakes as i could find but any suggestions would be appreciated

1) We know you lead a busy life, full of activities, many of which are required of you. Tell us about something you do for the pleasure of it. (*)(100 words or fewer)

One thing which I do just for the pleasure of it is playing video games on the PlayStation or my computer. It is the perfect way to forget about any problems I might be having or to just escape from the real world into a virtual one. It is a bit of an irony that the career path I have chosen for myself was inspired by something that I did just because I liked it and not because I had to do it. Gaming has always been a part of my life and I'm sure it always will be.

2) Although you may not yet know what you want to major in, which department or program at MIT appeals to you and why? (*) (100 words or fewer)

The Comparative Media Studies Program at MIT is one program which appeals to me the most. In particular I am very interested in the CMS's research program: Singapore-MIT GAMBIT game lab. Designing a video game is one thing I have always wanted to do and at GAMBIT games are designed to identify and solve research problems. I also found that GAMBIT will conduct research on the artistic, creative, business and social aspects of games. I was surprised and intrigued that game designing could be used for research purposes. It made me even more determined to pursue a career in game designing.

3) What attribute of your personality are you most proud of, and how has it impacted your life so far? This could be your creativity, effective leadership, sense of humor, integrity, or anything else you'd like to tell us about. (*) (200-250 words)

Ever since I can remember I have always been a curious and inquisitive person. I have a desire to know, to understand how everything around me works. This is the reason I chose science as my career path, the reason I have always been good at solving problems - whether mathematical or otherwise.

When I first learned how to use a computer, my head almost exploded with questions. I tried to learn everything there is to know about computers but soon found out that it was an almost impossible task. But still I did not stop, I attended every computer class I could at school and was forever tinkering with the computer at home. By 7th grade I knew how to assemble and dissemble a PC. But that was not the only thing I was curious about. There were many things I came across about which I wanted to know but the one thing that always stood out was video games. As far as I can remember the first video game I played was Recoil which was a tank-based game. It piqued my curiosity like nothing else. It was like another world to me. Ever since, I have played game after game on computers, consoles, mobile phones, iPods, pretty much anything on which a game can be played and I have always marveled at the increasing quality of games and wondered how they were made. It is this question that I now intend to answer through college studies.
TheallMaster 1 / 6  
1) I understand that wording is limited but the first essay to me sounds fairly generic. I do not think it is irony to be inspired by something you like.

2) In particular, I am very interested in the CMS's research program

, and at GAMBIT, games are designed to identify and solve research problems.

I also found that GAMBIT will conduct research on the artistic, creative, business, and social aspects of games.

You use GAMBIT three sentences in a row. Try to replace one use with a pronoun to make it less redundant

I think you should refer to game designing as game design. Not 100% though.

3) Ever since I can remember, I have always been a curious and inquisitive person.

As far as I can remember the first video game I played was Recoil, a tank based game .

played, and I have always marveled at the increasing quality of games and wondered how they were made.

Home / Undergraduate / 'Playing video games' + 'The Comparative Media Studies' + 'Curiosity' - MIT