Don Quixote; Columbia - Meaningful Book

EmiEvi 2 / 10 2  
Prompt: Please tell us what you found meaningful about one of the above mentioned books, publications, or cultural events

Don Quixote is a character I can truly sympathize with; in fact, besides the whole knight agenda, we're kind of similar - I too have become obsessive over reading too many books, letting their ideas fill my imagination and sometimes even letting that imagination blur the distinctions between fiction and reality. The story itself is a parody of knighthood, intended to mock the seemingly extravagant life of battle through the ridicule of Quixote himself. However, as I was reading in my Spanish Literature class one day, Don Quixote's comical stubbornness quickly became something... admirable. How much tenacity and resolve can a character have despite always being doubted by others? I had to admit that it was a pretty impressive trait to have for anyone, and it got me thinking; many critics over the ages have labeled him insane and delusional, but was he really? In my eyes, Don Quixote, while not necessarily a role model, was a dreamer and a man who had a resolve to become the person he desired to be. In that one moment of insight, I realized that maybe I was a Don Quixote as well. I have aspirations that I intend to carry out, I won't have limitations, and I can be doubted but I won't quit once I've set my mind on something. In this way, Don Quixote became my symbol of a fighter, but not in a literal sense. This new perspective of Don Quixote taught me this: there's no reason to stop any goal you're aiming for, no matter the obstacles or naysayers who may cross your path.

Any suggestions are needed, but I would truly appreciate any grammatical corrections!
loreliag 1 / 4 1  
I really like this essay! I don't actually see any grammatical mistakes, but maybe you should summarize it at the beginning instead of at the middle?
OP EmiEvi 2 / 10 2  
Thanks :)
Oh, ok I see what you mean, although the part about the books was kind of my initial summary...
TranLePhu 4 / 14 1  
I too have become obsessive over consuming countless of books, letting their ideas fill my imagination to the point of blurring the distinctions between fiction and reality. The story itself is a parody of knighthood, intended to mock the seemingly extravagant life of battle through ridiculing Quixote himself. However, as I was reading in my Spanish Literature class one day, Don Quixote's comical stubbornness quickly became something... admirable

I see no major grammatical errors in this essay (which is fantastic by the way; the novel, too :) ); all my corrections are merely personal suggestions I added that I think would help make your essay a little more pleasant to read as well as enhance the smoothness of your essay's flow. As for the "...stubbornness quickly became something... admirable", I think it would be better if you said something along the lines of "stubbornness surprisingly morphed from comical to admirable to my eyes". Just a suggestion; overall, your essay is great. :)
OP EmiEvi 2 / 10 2  
Thank you for revisions, I see what you mean about making it flow better!
I couldn't think of a way to make some of my sentences less lengthy, so your suggestions really helped! :)
OP EmiEvi 2 / 10 2  
Bump... Anymore more last minute suggestions?
ticklelisaelmo 8 / 42 3  
Really good essay. Just out of curiosity since I'm also applying to Columbia, how many books and publications did you list? Should we take full advantage of every space...
emalw202 3 / 9 1  
Your essay is excellent. I love Don Quixote and I think you really showed how it was meaningful to you in a very intellectual and creative manner. Please read my book supplement as well, I'd really appreciate your input!

Home / Undergraduate / Don Quixote; Columbia - Meaningful Book