Reading Interests; Hackers and painters; Waterloo AIF

VVCepheiA 11 / 30 3  
I have got 1112/900 char... If someone helps me shorten it, I will really appreciate it !!!

Reading Interests (*Required) Discuss a book or a written article that you particularly enjoyed or that has had an impact on you. Preferably choose a book or article that was not part of a course at school. (900 character limit)

"Hackers & Painters" opens a door for me. Its author, Paul Graham, a well-known programmer and venture capitalist, shares his experience in it.

First it talks about nerd life and hacker spirit, fun because it reminds me of my similar experiences when I cannot help working incessantly on a tough problem and when whimsical idea keeps jumping out of my head. I enjoy those moments even though some considers them worthless; the book teaches me to dare to be different and gives me the courage to pass on.

Second, it introduces some knowledge of startup. It tells me that good software needs not only creative ideas but also solid skills. Startup is no way easy but it is kind of fun to do the impossible.

Last, it elaborates the differences between programming languages. It provides me with broader eyesight; it makes me realize that the efficiency of different languages is different and using only one particular programming language may restrain your minds, which stimulates me to learn new languages and to be open-minded.

Most important, I learn that if one does not expect the unexpected, one will not find it.

Let's give a try :D

; Its author, Paul Graham, athe well-known programmer and venture capitalist, shares his experiencesin it .

.... I feel this is already implied if you begin with that punctuation. I haven't read this book. So if by chance those are his words, I mean "opens a door for me", then you can put it this way;

"Hackers & Painters" opens a door for me, says its author, Paul Graham, the well-known programmer and venture capitalist.

First it talks about nerd life and hacker spirit;that's fun because it reminds meI'm reminded of my similar experiences when I cannot help working incessantly on a tough problem and when whimsical idea keeps jumping out of my head.

It tells me that good software needs not only creative ideas but also solid skills.

It highlights that good software needs both creative ideas and solid skills.

Startup is no way easyreally tough but it is kind of fun to dodoing the impossible.

It provides me with broader eyesightperspective ; it makes me realize that the efficiency of different languages is different and using only one particular programming language may restrain your minds, which stimulates me to learn new languages and to be open-minded.

It makes me realize that efficiency differs among different languages and I should not confine myself to one particular language. Instead I should learn new languages to broaden my perspectives.
OP VVCepheiA 11 / 30 3  
Thanks you sooooooooo much!
I have another (the last one T^T!!) essay which needs help too... Could you help me (again) ? Sooooooo much thanks!!!
Here's the essay.

Question 1 Reasons for choosing your program and Waterloo (*Required) Please tell us about your educational goals, your interest in your chosen program(s), and your reasons for applying to the University of Waterloo. If you have applied to more than one program please discuss your interest in each program. (900 character limit)

My dream is to be an excellent software engineer. To be a software engineer, I need lots of self-education besides brilliant lectures given by professors. In self-education, discussions with peers usually inspire me and have mutual benefits. Waterloo, the most innovative university in Canada according to Maclean's annual rankings, can provide me with exactly what I need, the most intellectual peers, top tier engineering education and plenty of work opportunities.

The Co-op program allows me to experience working in both startup and big company, which benefit me not only in gaining work experience but also in deciding career choice. Also, I can apply what I learn in classroom and recognize what I need to improve.

I can meet clever peers in Velocity, a unique residence where innovators, leaders and entrepreneurs gather together. There is even Hack Day n Velocity; its spirit extremely attracts me.

Home / Undergraduate / Reading Interests; Hackers and painters; Waterloo AIF