'relationships between science and art' - USC Supplement

DesiGirl 9 / 52  
Describe your academic interests and how you plan to pursue them at USC. Please feel free to address your first- and second-choice major selections.

My life has been built upon the relationships between science and art. USC encourages this perception and fosters students to think creatively, specifically through the Renaissance scholars program. Looking at science with an artistic and creative lens, while addressing dance with a scientific and mathematical viewpoint, I hope to pursue biochemical engineering and Indian cultural dance, bringing both intellectual passion and diversity to USC. My interest in biology hadn't begun until I began training for my arangetram, a two and a half hour solo debut in the Indian classical dance, bharatanatyam. During my training, I looked at dance geometrically and analyzed the biochemical processes of movement based on certain food and drink consumed. I began practicing alternative treatments such as acupressure and Nambudripad's Allergy Elimination Technique (NAET). I became attuned to the human body, researching how to strengthen muscles and enhance my stamina through yoga. My experiences have inspired me to revolutionize medical practices by bridging the gap between Eastern and Western treatments. It took art and science, creativity and structure, to truly enhance my understanding of the world. USC values nontraditional links, a quality that has strengthened the engineering department tremendously. "Fight on." The motto itself encourages students to not only pursue their endeavors, but also overcome obstacles and struggle for what they are passionate about, emerging victorious in the end.
G_Ear_B_Ear815 1 / 2  
This is very well-written, you articulate your passion for biology very well. The connection you make between the preparation for your solo and the study of the human body is very unique and kept me reading. Great Job!
OP DesiGirl 9 / 52  
Thank you so much!
raza68 5 / 23  
Excellent! I love the way your supplement flows. Keep up the good work!
OP DesiGirl 9 / 52  
Thank you!!

Home / Undergraduate / 'relationships between science and art' - USC Supplement