UF - "The Road Less Travelled"

drewwuetcher 1 / -  
This is for the University of Florida- Please critique Thanks for your help

The Prompt

In the space provided, please write a concise narrative in which you describe a meaningful event, experience or accomplishment in your life and how it will affect your college experience or your contribution to the UF campus community. You may want to reflect on your ideas about student responsibility, academic integrity, campus citizenship or a call to service.

My Essay:

The Road Less Traveled
When I look back on those years, I remember wanting to quit. I wanted the life of an ordinary teenager, instead I chose the life that said that serving others and being a leader was more important. I'm glad I made that decision. I'm glad I took the road less travelled. I'm proud to be an Eagle Scout.

Scouting has prepared me for college in numerous ways. It has taught me discipline, leadership, and community service. Before I began scouting, I was not the most disciplined person. I did not take responsibility for my actions. I would often deny them. As I matured through scouting, I learned that there is more joy in telling the truth than there is in lying. As my experience in scouting continued my discipline grew, I was better prepared to deal with situations that would rise out of conflict. When I became the Senior Patrol Leader of my troop, I was the oldest member of my troop by several years. This set me back; some kids did not respect the rank that I had above them. They had always been together and having a different face in charge, was difficult for them. As the months went by, conflicts arose. It was my job, as Senior Patrol Leader, to settle these conflicts. Sometimes they were just arguments over who had to do the dishes, other times it was personal attacks on the character of another scout. In all cases I sought out to first settle the argument, and if not able to settle the argument, I would seek my scoutmaster who would offer me guidance on the situation. Little did I know that, the development of my discipline, and leadership as Senior Patrol leader would lead to my greatest accomplishment.

A requirement for becoming an Eagle Scout is to properly plan and carry out a project that will better your community. My project dealt with Eastern Cemetery, a little place that no one had ever heard of, it had been left to decay by its previous owners. The Veterans Section of the Cemetery had previously been vandalized, and was in a miserable state. I decided that I would replace the flag pole, curb, and set the stones so that each one could be seen. This project meant a lot to me. It gave me the opportunity to prove that I was worthy of Eagle Scout, I was able to demonstrate my leadership, discipline and my call to serve others.

When I became an Eagle Scout, I was shocked, I had actually done it. I had spent thousands of hours over the years, to gain this one rank. During those years, I had endured many hardships and learned that you must define your values if you want to be successful in life. I want to bring my values to the University of Florida, and I hope that I am granted this opportunity. Go Gators!

~Andrew Wuetcher
Thanks for your help!!
kathytheson 5 / 12  
I like how you formatted your intro. It hooked me into your essay fast

Home / Undergraduate / UF - "The Road Less Travelled"