"Rorschach, from the graphic novel Watchmen" - NYU Supplement

turtleboxman 2 / 8  
Hello, the supplement topic is:

If you had the opportunity to bring any person -- past or present, fictional or nonfictional -- to a place that is special to you (your hometown or country, a favorite location, etc), who would you bring and why? Tell us what you would share with that person.

Here is what I wrote:

I would bring Rorschach, from the graphic novel Watchmen, to Time Square, the location that I feel represents New York City and the hometown of Rorschach. We would sit on the ruby red stairs together and discuss our common goal and desire to mitigate the crime and corruption present in the city. Rorschach shows that one does not need special powers or radio-active spiders to be a super hero. He inspires me with the notion that dedication and will power is all that one needs to help a cause.

Is this good? should I change anything? Grammar? Sentence structure? Thank you!
msjamie 2 / 11  
ummm maybe elaborate more on what you would share with him..it seems like he would share a lot!

OTHERWISE GREAT.
msjamie 2 / 11  
O i forgot you have to underline watchmen
OP turtleboxman 2 / 8  
How do I underline Watchmen on the common app? I dont see the option
mikeehnow 3 / 30  
Well, for books you can italicize, i think.
OP turtleboxman 2 / 8  
There arent any bolding, italicizing, or underlining options.
the most i can do is quotes, so should I do that?
smiley1633 1 / 1  
I don't know if you just made a typo, but it's "Times Square" not "Time Square"
mikeehnow 3 / 30  
Huh? There is italicizing. Just forget it then; it's not like you're going to send this without editing it first. Anyways, why Times Square? I realize that it means a lot to the character, but explain what it has to do with YOU.

I would bring Rorschach, from the graphic novel Watchmen, to Time Square, the location that I feel represents New York City and the hometown of Rorschach . It might be that people think that Times Square is the hometown of Rorschach, when it is actually NYC. The positioning is very important here. We would sit on the ruby red stairsWhat do you mean? What do the stairs represent, or is it just a place that you think is cool? together and discuss our common goal and desire: to mitigate the crime and corruption present in the city. You have to somehow connect these two sentences. Rorschach shows that one does not need special powers or radio-active spidersbites to be a super heroI think this is one word, isn't it?. He inspires me with the notion that dedication and that will power is all that one needs to help a cause.
bananaphone 3 / 6  
There is no hyphen in radioactive.
Also, I know Rorschach is from NYC so the city is special to him, but is it special to you?
And how did you come to have a strong desire to fight crime and corruption?

I don't know what your word limit is but I'm sure you could expand a little bit more more so as to make the response more revealing about yourself. I do like the fact that you chose Rorschach though...
OP turtleboxman 2 / 8  
Thank you for the help. With the 500 letter limit, it was difficult to incorporate these things, but this is wat i have.

I would bring Rorschach, from the graphic novel Watchmen, with me to Times Square. From flawless buildings to stunning city lights, Times Square is easily my favorite site. We would sit on the public ruby red stairs in the center of Times Square and discuss ways to improve the city, our home. Since Rorschach shows that one does not need super powers to be a superhero, together we would develop realistic ideas for our common goal: to mitigate the crime and corruption present in our society.

Yeah, you probably do not have the options, so don't worry. And yes, italicization is the way to go, not underlining. Underlining titles is something we used to do back before typewriters were replaced by word processing.

The essay is good, and it can be better if it somehow reflects your career interest... for example, this would be great if you were going into public service, such as crim. justice or politics, etc., and you can use this opportunity to reinforce to the reader your dedication to such service.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / "Rorschach, from the graphic novel Watchmen" - NYU Supplement