UC; "Never say Never," really is more than just a title of a James Bond movie

Songkong 4 / 8  
Describe the world you come from - for example, your family, community or school - and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.

"Never say Never," really is more than just a title of a James Bond movie. I NEVER used to think that there was such a thing as good stress. Life at home is typical, with all the pressures of school, AP tests, SAT's and not to mention my overly tenacious parents, who seem to have nothing to do but to badger me all day. Everything felt like a demand, which turned into some monotonous, mundane mission that led me to the next level of life. Unfortunately, growing up is defined by increased responsibility and in parallel; stress began to stack itself with me as a host. I had already developed a negative schema, so when my parents suggested that I help out with children, I dreaded the whole week.

The thought of taking care of kids on my weekends totally deflated me, and I carried that defeated attitude with me. To my surprise, I missed the fact that the program took care of Autistic kids, which initially scared me because I was afraid of that responsibility. As I expected, the whole facility was chaotic. Kids were running around, some were yelling, others crying and more playing, honestly I was worried. However, my first encounter was with a young boy who was overjoyed to meet a stranger and took my hand to introduce me to the others. I met all the others, who amazingly were just as elated to see a stranger. My thoughts began to shift, but I was still attentive. The day was scheduled out and through each activity, their attitudes never diminished, though they did occasionally still run, scream and cry. Gradually, they started to grow on me and quickly I became a part of this group. By the end of the day, I was used to it and more importantly, I felt completely alive.

Since that first day, I have never missed a chance to meet with the children. I have come to the realization that I need them more than they needed me. They give me an outlet from my own terribly standard life, a greater purpose to live than following orders hoping for progress. Their liveliness permeates and allows me to have a window away from this sad reality. Through them, I discovered that I want to dedicate myself to the facilitation of children. To learn and research about diseases and illnesses that affect my children.
Wambat 2 / 5  
not to mention my overly tenacious parents, who seem to have nothing to do but to badger me all day

This seems overly negativity towards your parents

stress began to stack itself with me as a host

this sentence is a bit akward

It ends very touching and strong but I'm not sure about

my children.

it almost sounds like you are a mother or is that referencing the kids you work with

Home / Undergraduate / UC; "Never say Never," really is more than just a title of a James Bond movie