"The scenery, academy and community" Why Madison

xujunjiejack 4 / 7  
I have no idea whether there are too many topics(the scenery, academiy, community) in this essay. I just really want to enter UWM. If you have any comment, please feel free to comment. Thank you for reading my essay.

1. Tell us why you decided to apply to the University of Wisconsin-Madison. In addition, share with us the academic, extracurricular, or research opportunities you would take advantage of as a student. If applicable, provide details of any circumstance that could have had an impact on your academic performance and/or extracurricular involvement.(300-500)

What first makes University of Wisconsin special and impressive to me is an aerial photo, where several boats leisurely float on lake Mendota; both the modern and tradition style buildings stand along the bank; the red sun set down slowly at the edge of horizon. Living in a crowded city provides limited chances to satisfy my love for the lovely nature. What a pity I'm thousands miles away from the one of the most beautiful campus in the U.S and can't enjoy the scenery! When facing beautiful scenery, I always feel a kind of quietness and peace, which allow my mind free wandering, and getting inspired.

Then, as my exploration to the University of Wisconsin continues, the beautiful scenery turns out to not be the only part of why I like Madison.

In term of academy, raised as a world class research university, the University of Wisconsin-Madison is a huge fountain of knowledge. The libraries with abundant books, the labs with advanced equipment and programs which encourage innovation like D2P, widen my view of what I can utilize in a research university for academic research. I'm interested in the writing center, which helps me improve my academic writing.

Besides the academy, it's a special community which I cannot find at other universities that appeals to me as well. I'm living in a boarding school now, where I have a good time living with my peers and friends. Sharing the daily life, doing some pranks, and handling life difficulties together are all highlights in my dormitory life. However, due to the students' number and heavy study burden, seldom do I prepare for meeting the challenge in the independent future. But the community in the University of Wisconsin-Madison gives me a chance.

Two features of the community interest me: "Learning community", a fresh concept to me, and its diversity. The community, I think, embodies the "Wisconsin experience" very well. It's not a traditional classroom, but it's also a good outside-classroom-study resources. I'm looking forward to living in a place with such a both academic and multicultural environment. I believe that life is a big laboratory, filled with invisible experiment instrument. To better meet the challenge in the world, I'd like to try, to research, and to conclude how others and my life can be shaped by my effort. The collaboration with friends or strangers is a required skill, and owning a global vision helps me in many ways. Equipped with the Chinese culture, value and personalities, I'm glad to improve the community's diversity and introduce another perspective of learning into the community.

I really hope that one day I would walk along the Lake Mendota, discussing the psychology class with a friend with different nationality, heading to the first home of my independent life.
Kondite - / 44 9  
By quickly reading your essay like an admissions officer, I get the feel that you want to go to Madison because of its beautiful scenery and its diverse community. First off, change your first sentence to make it less awkward like "To me,UoW is special because..." Combine your second and third paragraph. Take out the obvious things like libraries having a lot of books. All libraries have a lot if books. I would suggest elaborating on your writing interests and how UoW is unique because all colleges have special communities. Try to emphasize the lack of diversity at your boarding school and how much your want to attend because of the new people that you can meet there. Take out the sentence about student number and study burden because college will be 100 times bigger and more difficult than your boarding school. Sorry but I don't have time to check your grammar so go over it with your teachers.

Home / Undergraduate / "The scenery, academy and community" Why Madison