Singapore's MRT train - really all you could do is to wait patiently for your destination.

stretchthelimit 5 / 9 2  
Hello! I would appreciate any form of help on this essay.
Is there any room for improvement? Is the idea alright?
Thank you so much in advance! Would be glad to help on your essay as well!

Describe a place or environment where you are perfectly content. What do you do or experience there, and why is it meaningful to you?

I have never been jealous of friends who travelled in cars, though cars were undoubtedly the most convenient mode of transport. My family does not own a car, thus transport for me was only one option: the Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) train.

The thing about train rides is that really all you could do is to wait patiently for your destination. As for me, waiting time was mostly spent on making friends out of strangers.

As a seasoned MRT commuter, I have seen almost half of Singapore on the train. There's the Malay family all decked out in happy colors, the Chinese student whose eyes never left his notes, and the occasional tourists glancing curiously around the interior of the train carriage. I would flash a warm toothy grin at the family, and make a funny face at the baby in the tram. I would say 'Yo!' to the student and almost spontaneously, we would launch into a discussion about school politics. I would eagerly strike up a conversation with the tourists, and if by chance they could understand English, I would go on forever about our transport system, our country, our food, and our people. I get the goose bumps when my newly found friends return smiles and say words of thanks for brightening up their day.

The MRT endears to me as a social vehicle, a place where I get a glimpse into the lives of other people, and where I witness for myself the melting pot of cultures Singapore is well known for. The strangers on board the same train as me have their own stories, overcame hardships and bear their own thoughts. When we are all brought together on the same train, there seems to be an unspoken camaraderie connecting us. Every nerve inside of me makes me want to reach out and get to know them. To the anti-social, I probably look like a pedophile or a loner desperate for attention. However, the way I figure it, train rides - or any other form of public transport for that matter - are more than just about getting from point A to B, but rather, opportunities for new friendships.

When I was little, my parents used to tell me, ''It is not the destination, but the journey, that matters", which has become a rather apt description of my MRT experience - in the literal sense.

Seeing people from all walks of life makes me want to venture into the world and meet new people, and understand the common human experience beyond geographic borders and culture. I want to discover other people's stories, tell them a bit of mine, and create new ones together.

(444/650)
It is good that you can reflect with such detail upon the learning experience that you have on the MRT. Why do you feel content while watching these people? The answer you have given is because you gain a learning experience from it. That is a good answer but I am not sure if it really reflects a sense of contentment on your part. Remember that the essay needs to refer to the contentment that you feel when you are in a certain place or environment. Perhaps you can expand better upon the sense of contentment that you gain from observing these people. Why do you feel content simply by watching them? I believe the answer to that lies in the way that you observe them. You are content because you can see the contentment in the attitude and body language of the people you are with. Those are things that need to be reflected in the final version of the essay in order to make it better adhere to the prompt.

Home / Undergraduate / Singapore's MRT train - really all you could do is to wait patiently for your destination.