Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

situations that were extremely challenging to overcome - UF admission

Ignacio1407 1 / -  
Describe a meaningful event, experience or accomplishment in your life and how it will affect your college experience or your contribution to the UF campus community. You may want to reflect on your family, your school or community activities, or your involvement in areas outside of school.

As a young student, I have been through various experiences that have taught me many life lessons that served me through my life. I have faced situations that were extremely challenging to overcome, but at the same time encouraging me succeed in life. As time passes I have become mature and self conscious of my actions and how they affect my loved ones and community, as well as myself. These experiences provided me values that will be a useful at the University of Florida

My family was an immense influence in my life. In less than two years my parents were divorced. Being young and naďve, I did not realize what was occurring at that moment.

My dad irresponsibly left my mother and me. He found another woman, and at the same time, his job forced him to move far away from us. Depending on my mother, who at time was suffering from depression, I was left alone to find my way through middle school and high school. Since a very young age I have been independent. My dad returned from the U.S and decided to take me with him.

I landed in an unknown country almost six years ago. All the hard work that I had accomplished in my humble country was banished in the blink of an eye. I was extremely frustrated since I had to start from scratch to begin a new life. Filled with sadness, I had to leave my mom behind. I did not know where I could find the new starting point. The first thing in mind was school, I finished sixth grade in December and started seventh grade in January, having no time come to terms with my feelings.

As time passed, the feelings of desolation started to dissipate as I focused on climbing the ladder of success. Now in my last year in high school I've found that I can achieve anything I desire, having overcame the greatest obstacle in my life, I know I can. Throughout this period of my life, I've been able to discover my true self and how I interpret my surroundings. I've been able to achieve unbelievable things, I've acquiesced many new friends, being in the 10% of my class, and much more.

This experience made me realize what I'm really made of, while facing those adversities nothing was able to impede me to become who I am, and this built my character, and taught many lessons that can't be obtained anywhere else. My character and my experience would be a great asset to the University of Florida.

Home / Undergraduate / situations that were extremely challenging to overcome - UF admission