Soaring Higher - NUS admission essay - personal experience or an activity

Angie_Felicia 2 / 3 2  
Prompt: You may discuss a personal experience or an activity that you have been involved that is relevant to the course you are applying for admission. (less than 2,000 characters)

Whenever I see construction sites with tower cranes jutting skyward, I always recall my grandfather. Despite the incapability to pursue higher education, he managed to establish one of the largest trading firms for heavy equipment and construction materials in Asia. His endeavors have inspired and motivated me to choose business major in NUS.

In my first year of high school, I participated in my school's Entrepreneur Club (a.k.a. Kopsis) as the secretary. In the course of that period, I learnt how to work independently and in groups, follow specific and general instructions, and complete tasks in a timely manner.

During my first summer break in high school, I joined Young Leaders Winter School conducted by Trinity College in Melbourne. It was my first experience to step out of my comfort zone and be immersed in the international environment. Having worked in several projects and presentations, my interest to work in a global setting grew deeper.

I spent my second year as the class' treasurer. The work allowed me to gain communication and organizing skills among my peers. I encountered many difficulties in this position, but I managed to resolve them with the help of my teacher and friends.

In my final year, I was engaged in my school's Social Committee (a.k.a. SSV). The Committee conducted numerous activities such as teaching needy children, selling affordable clothes and books, and collecting donations. Teaching was my favorite activity even though the kids are very mischievous. I also take part in English competitions, play violin in my school's chapel and community church, and swim on weekends.
akshay1996 5 / 11  
The starting of the essay is great, but remember - the prompt is asking for a personal experience or activity.

I find the digression towards the end about other activities unnecessary. But great job overall!

Home / Undergraduate / Soaring Higher - NUS admission essay - personal experience or an activity