'In my society standing up to the elderly' Work experience. What do you think?

Foriya 2 / 12 7  
Please briefly elaborate on one of your extracurricular activities or work experiences in the space below. (250 words max)
I just wrote this i want to know if this idea is okay.All corrections and suggestions are welcome.Thank you in advance.

In my society standing up to the elderly is the greatest form of disrespect of the child. I am an African girl, being assertive isn't a good attribute especially in a provision store's sales girl. When the elderly insist that items be sold to them at cheaper prices ,refusing merits condescending stares and derogatory remarks .Or sometimes the usual saying ," enti w'anto me so??"(In Akan) or "owoo nn)"(in Ga), asking me to add more onto the actual quantity they paid for. This is common in the sale of corn or cassava dough, gari, fish, peppers and tomatoes, items with no proper unit to match quantity to price, but not for foods in sachets or tins.

I wake up each day to clean and arrange my work area, serve little children who come around and most often forget what they have been sent to buy. Endure this subtle form of bullying from the elderly under culture that enforces humility and downplays assertiveness.

After it all I am assertive in the most polite way imaginable. Refusing many requests of the elderly and still not getting into trouble with my culture in which the adult is never wrong. These experiences kindled every bit of my patience, respect, tolerance and above all maturity in my dealings with people. Be it young or old.(220 words)
amymaria 1 / 6 3  
Maybe you could explain why it is disrespect to stand up to the elderly in your society.
and what the ," enti w'anto me so??"(In Akan) or "owoo nn)"(in Ga) means in english.
I think you should describe how this extra curricular activies helped you in what aspects of life specifically rather than what work you do there.
OP Foriya 2 / 12 7  
Thanks a lot Kim.I will work on that.

exactly.... yes, "standing up to" has a different meaning for us. It usually means that, to rise to an upright position on the feet. So as amymaria comments, it's better you explain what it means.

In this question, you are supposed to talk more about your extra curricular activities or work experience, I wish you had more emphasis on those aspects.
OP Foriya 2 / 12 7  
Hi, thanks for your comments.I am using stand up to as an idiom which means to take a stand against someone or something,to hold one's ground or principles in the face of a challenge by someone or something.

So I meant challenging an elderly.In this respect is my point clearer?
I would still work on the advice you have given and post again.Thanks a lot.

Home / Undergraduate / 'In my society standing up to the elderly' Work experience. What do you think?