Is Sociology/AP Psychology considered core academic subjects?

yee 6 / 39  
Hey guys!
I just had a quick question for you 09 applicants and others. Is Sociology/AP Psychology considered core academic subjects? B/C I got my recommendations from a teacher in that subject area. Thank you!! Sorry for being irrelevant EF Team, but I feel like this is the right place to ask :)
The definition of "core" shifts depending upon which institution is using it, so I can't answer the question directly for you. There is, however, a general scale of respectability that attaches to academic subjects, ranging, from highest to lowest, approximately in the following order:

Math and the hard sciences.
English and the humanities.
The social sciences (Sociology, anthropology, psychology).
Fine Arts
ostrich90 - / 2  
anthropology, economics, geography, history, law, linguistics, political science, psychology, etc. are branches of social science :)
History and law also fall under the heading of humanities. Likewise, linguistics is closely allied to English. Sociology, anthropology, and psychology are the core social sciences, and the ones most widely studied, with the possible exception of economics, though, given the current track record of most economists in predicting the current economic woes, I don't think its inclusion alters my main point about the scale of respectability.
OP yee 6 / 39  
Thank you! Sean and ostrich90:)

Home / Undergraduate / Is Sociology/AP Psychology considered core academic subjects?