Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

(starting up my own company / the field of computer science) Madison Wisconsin

clbembry 1 / -  
Statement 1:

The University values an educational environment that provides all members of the campus community with opportunities to grow and develop intellectually, personally, culturally and socially. In order to give us a more complete picture of you as an individual, please tell us about the particular life experiences, perspectives, talents, commitments and/or interests you will bring to our campus. In other words, how will your presence enrich our community?

Few things in life captivate me in the way computer programming does. When I began programming at the age of twelve, I had no idea how big of an impact it would have on my life. I started off making very simple games using a visual drag-and-drop programming tool called Game Maker. Since then I've worked with and familiarized myself with many programming languages which include: C++, Java, C#, PHP, Javascript, HTML, CSS, MySQL, CSS, Python, and Basic.

In the past I developed games and websites for the sake of making money. And while I've never made money off of a game, I have been paid to make a couple of websites over the years. Recently however, I've begun searching for problems and trying to find efficient ways of solving these problems with my knowledge of programming. When I discovered how tedious it was to share files, it inspired me to begin working on a project named Fatavio. For about four months I have been working on Fatavio with the help of a friend, and while it is no where near complete, a lot of progress has been made. If after it's completed it just doesn't catch on and no one uses it, it'll be back to the drawing board I go, but eventually I want one of my ideas to have an impact on the world. I want to change the world with something I develop; to create "the next Facebook" is my dream.

I do realize that my chances of successfully starting up my own company and developing something meaningful are small, to put it kindly, but working for someone else would hardly be work if I'm developing software or games. I'm doing that already for free (Well, technically I'm losing money due to server hosting costs) so I would consider it getting paid to do what I love to do.

Statement 2:

Tell us about your academic goals, circumstances that may have had an impact on your academic performance, and, in general, anything else you would like us to know in making an admission decision.

I want to study in the field of computer science, more specifically software development. In my opinion DropBox and Twitter do more for our world than Call of Duty. I always make sure to challenge myself. Each year I take rigorous classes, not just easy classes in order to get the best grades possible. While my grades are far from perfect, they do not adequately reflect my work ethic or my intelligence. Looking back through my school notebooks the pages are filled with ideas for projects and games, and not so many relevant class notes. It's not that I don't think school is important, just my passion for programming and the development process often times distract me. I find myself scoring well on my tests but homework points drags my grades down.

Home / Undergraduate / (starting up my own company / the field of computer science) Madison Wisconsin