'Science has been my passion' - Wisconsin-madison STATEMENT

vadalis 4 / 12  
Hey guys, i made an essay for the following statement:
The University values an educational environment that provides all members of the campus community with opportunities to grow and develop intellectually, personally, culturally and socially. In order to give us a more complete picture of you as an individual, please tell us about the particular life experiences, perspectives, talents, commitments and/or interests you will bring to our campus. In other words, how will your presence enrich our community?

MY response:
Having lived in a country like Singapore, I have been exposed to a myriad of people, cultures and backgrounds from all over the world. It has been a very eye-opening experience and I feel it can help me easily adapt to life at a new place like University of Wisconsin. With my knowledge, I can also help others overcome any difficulties.

During high school, I was a director of International understanding on the Rotary Club. My duty entailed me to organize trips overseas to increase the understanding of other cultures and humans while doing socially valuable work in that country. Along with the other board members, I planned a trip to Vietnam to do social work at a local orphanage there. We collected old items (clothes, bags, etc.) from my school-mates in Singapore for two weeks to give to the children at the orphanage. The trip was four days long, but I felt it was once-in-a-lifetime experience. We also did other work (cleaning the place, painting walls, installing water distillation plant, etc) at the orphanage and at times, it was rather tedious and tiring. But, it all paid off when we saw the smiles of gratitude on the faces of the young children. That moment taught me that life is not all about the number of days one lives, but the amount of life present in one's days. With my passion for helping and understanding other people and cultures, I feel I can contribute to Wisconsin deeply in terms of social work and cultural development.

From childhood, football (soccer) has been my favourite pastime. I have played for my school teams and for a brief period of 4-5 months, I have played for a local club, Tampines Rovers for the Under-18 team. However, my most successful moment came during my first year of high school when we won the inter-school tournament competing against 12 other schools and I was the top scorer with 10 goals. I felt extremely proud and happy. I understand from this experience more than just feelings. I realised the importance of team-work and training. When I join Wisconsin, I hope to join the soccer team and continue achieving and learning new things from playing with my team-mates.

Science has been my passion since young. I read encyclopaedias at home and was fascinated to learn 'how things work' that I read. The possibility of discovery and learning something new was what I loved about science so much. Thus, I chose extended essay in physics as my research during the International Baccalaureate course (high school equivalent). My research topic was about investigating eddy currents and their effects on aluminium. The results of the experiment fascinated me and further enhance my interest and curiosity.

I would like it if you guys coudl tell me any corrections and if this essay can get me in! thanks!really need it.

I am quite impressed with the clear values and aims presented on your web site and keen to join given an admission. With my experiences, passions and values, I feel I can also add to the overall Wisconsin 'Experience'.
During high school, I was a director of International U nderstanding in the Rotary Club.

My duty involved me organizing trips overseas to increase the understanding...

We also did other work (cleaning the place, painting walls, installing a water distillation plant, etc) at the orphanage and at times, it was rather tedious and tiring.

That trip taught me that life is not all about the number of days one lives, but the amount of life present in one's days.---I love this !!

I realized the importance of team-work and training.

When I get to Wisconsin, I hope to join the soccer team and continue achieving and learning new things from playing with my team-mates.

Science has been my passion since I was very young.

I read encyclopedias at home and was fascinated by the 'how things work' sections that I read.

Thus, I chose an extended essay in physics as my research during the International Baccalaureate course (high school equivalent).

Have fun in school and good luck!!

:)
OP vadalis 4 / 12  
Hey susan,

thank you so much!i really appreciate the help.but i want some opinion also on if you think this essay is good?in the sense that it answers the question which is provided?

Home / Undergraduate / 'Science has been my passion' - Wisconsin-madison STATEMENT