Why I Want to Study Abroad in Argentina Essay

judas 4 / 21 2  
First draft. Thanks for the help in advance.

Prompt: 250-500 words
How does studying and living abroad fit into your overall educational goals?
What do you hope to gain from your time abroad?
Why is it important for you personally to have cross-cultural experiences?

I come from a Mexican-American family and I have always considered my mult-ethnic background to be an asset. It has definitely shaped the way I view the world. The Hispanic side of my family always made me feel like I was watching a Marx Brothers comedy because they are so ridiculous and zany, while the American side was more like a John Wayne western, because of their ruggedness and tough independence. My biracial upbringing ultimately led to my decision to study Creative Writing and Spanish at California State University, Long Beach.

Living in Buenos Aires and complete immersion in the Spanish culture would not only enable me to speak spanish fluently, but also give me the opportunity of learning about the people of Argentina. This is an experience that cannot be accomplished in a classroom alone.

My ultimate goal from studying abroad is to develop cultural awareness. Personally, I feel that from living in the United States my whole life I have taken the values, stories, and history and drawn from that in my writing. By living and studying abroad, I hope to take the positive aspects from that experience and integrate them into my life. As a student of writing, new people and surroundings will not only broaden my perspective of life, but enrich my future work.

I believe that experiences, lifestyles, and backgrounds create diversity. Diversity is important because it gives people the opportunity to reach their maximum potential and promotes the transfer of ideas, which is ultimately what I hope to gain from this experience.
ershad193 14 / 333 5  
Diversity is important because it gives people the opportunity to reach their maximum potential

Maximum potential? How?

Overall, a nicely written essay.
and tough independence. My biracial upbringing ultimately led to my decision to study Creative Writing and Spanish at California State University, Long Beach.

When you end the first paragraph this way, I really like it! I want you to change the second paragraph so that it is all about creative writing and language, etc. ... Start that second paragraph with a sentence that continues this theme of celebrating language.
OP judas 4 / 21 2  
Thanks for the tips. I'll do my best to match the same themes I set up.

Home / Undergraduate / Why I Want to Study Abroad in Argentina Essay