SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATION ENTRANCE ESSAY ON POLARITY

Salena 1 / -  
Describe a topic, idea, or concept you find so engaging that it makes you lose all track of time. Why does it captivate you? What or who do you turn to when you want to learn more?

THE LAW OF POLARITY

Any action has an equal and opposite reaction; forces come in pairs. Everything can be separated into two wholly opposite parts, and that each of those still contains the potentiality of the other. This has been revealed by Sir Issac Newton and is known as the Law of Polarity. It is engaging to me for many reasons and polarity being apart of our reality and very existence in many ways makes it easy to lose track of time exploring the idea.

The most captivating thing about the Law of Polarity is how much it is apart of us and effects us emotionally. When we feel negativity like anger we automatically give rise to the desire for the exact opposite, humor and pleasure. Same goes for when we are feeling positive like excitement, we give rise to worry for the opposite, depression. Having this awareness unlocks so much potential when it comes to our personal happiness. The Law of Polarity can be seen in obvious things like hot & cold, up & down and black & white but it is even apart of complicated things like physics. In physics, the Law of Polarity is known as Wave Particle Duality and it has been observed in laboratories that when you collide a positively charged electron and a negatively charged particle there is an explosion, both are annihilated and out of that annihilation, gamma-ray photons are created. It is amazing to think that The Law of Polarity is even a reason we have light!

There are so many videos and websites you can turn to on the internet to learn more on The Law of Polarity right in your home. As well as books you can buy or read at your local library. One of the greatest things about learning this concept is the many ways it is interpreted by a variety of people. From physicists like Isaac Newton to philosophers of the Hermetic principles to psychologists like Ralph Smart and even self help coaches like Anthony Robins, you can learn the Law of Polarity in a variety of ways.

Finally, we must see the positive in the negative and the negative that's in the positive if we ever want to get a better understanding of The Law of Polarity. There is no escaping the polarity in our lives. We have all experienced it. And whether we like it or not, one cannot exist without the other.
Salena, you have chosen a pretty good concept to present in this essay but I feel that it is lacking on many fronts as part of your formal written interview. The first missing element is, "why do you lose all track of time when you engage in a study of Polarity?". The other missing element is "What does this concept that I am enthralled by tell the reviewer about me as a student and as a person?" Each interview question that you need to respond to must always provide some additional information about you in a manner that relates to a particular interest.

In this case, I learned a tremendous amount about Polarity, the concept, the pioneers who studied it, its application, and where you turn to study more about it. Yet I learned nothing about who you are in relation to your interest in this concept. This is where the "you find so engaging that you lose all track of time" segment of the prompt comes in. It is also the most pivotal part of your response. That is why I suggest that you revise the essay to better explain the missing portion.

I know you have a word limitation so you may wish to consider writing a new essay from scratch that borrows elements of its response from this version of the essay.

Home / Undergraduate / SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATION ENTRANCE ESSAY ON POLARITY