'a supportive and structured environment' - Northwestern Statement

chadbinghay 4 / 6  
What are the unique qualities of Northwestern--and of the specific undergraduate school to which you are applying--that make you want to attend the University? In what ways do you hope to take advantage of the qualities you have identified? Grammar and spelling errors are welcome :)

When I thought about going to college, the same theme kept plaguing my mind: changes. I was not sure if the college atmosphere would be a reflection of high school life or an aberration from my current sense of community. There was a possibility that I could leave the lifestyle that nurtured me with academic and moral support for so many years. However, during my visit to Northwestern in 2011, all my questions were answered and my curiosity was satiated.

The moment I stepped onto Northwestern's campus, I was overwhelmed by the wave of purple. It did not just cover the flags and walls of the buildings; it covered the spirits of students and the aura of the school. Every student I saw was dressed in Wildcat colors and walked about without the slightest amount of pessimism. The attitudes of the students were shadowed, however, by my group's enthusiastic tour guide, Sara.

I had heard from many sources that many research schools were bland ways to get an education. This cannot be said for Northwestern. Sara oriented us on some of the 400 organizations on campus. She told us about the Happiness Club and its never-ending quest to make people feel happy. She also mentioned the friendly competitions between the different schools. Our tour then proceeded into one of the classrooms on campus. I was certainly surprised when we were told that the tiny room we were sitting in was a norm in Northwestern. The comprehensive and small class sizes really appealed to me because it meant that I could be accommodated more easily. More importantly, it meant that Northwestern cares about its undergraduates. Instead of feeling completely independent, the school provides excellent resources, such as the enormous library I saw, and affable faculty. The opportunities Northwestern provides will allow me to understand class material fully, yet at a challenging pace.

As our tour came to an end, I asked Sara about the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences. She told me that because of Northwestern's prestige and standing in the scientific community, the government funds the school well. I was ecstatic to know that the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences will provide me with the most up-to-date systems and technologies that other colleges cannot afford.

I finally realized that the clubs, schools, and people act the same way we high school students do. We both strive for togetherness in academics and societal interactions while having fun at the same time. Northwestern provides a supportive and structured environment that is superior to any college that I have seen. In addition, it allows students to achieve a well-rounded education with plenty of opportunities. I hope to see and feel purple in my future.
skylerb 1 / 2  
Charles,
I really enjoyed the purple theme throughout the essay, it really helped to tie the essay together. Your flow was easy to digest, and well written. I wondered if you could get more specific about any studies you want to pursue, that's definitely what I did in my supplement and I was told its a good track to stick with. That said, you seem to have a really solid idea about the academic qualities that are important to you.

The opportunities Northwestern provides will allow me to understand class material fully, yet at a challenging pace.

sounds a little bit like you wont be able to keep up. That's just an idea though. Please take a look at mine, its also a NU supplement essay.
tylrrvera 2 / 10  
"She told me that because of Northwestern's prestige and standing in the scientific community, the government funds the school well. I was ecstatic to know that the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences will provide me with the most up-to-date systems and technologies that other colleges cannot afford."

Im not sure if commenting on Northwestern's funding is the strongest point to make about your desire to attend. Perhaps you should say something about how " the Weinbeg CAS will offer me access to resources and technologies available at no other school" or something.

Overall a great essay though! Could you help with mine please?

Home / Undergraduate / 'a supportive and structured environment' - Northwestern Statement