TUTORING has been a significant part of my life; Extracurricular Activity

arguanoid 6 / 10 1  
Common App extracurricular short answer-needs to be under 1000 characters, currently 1230 with spaces
Any tips on what to cut//how to edit it?

Spreading Knowledge Through Tutoring

For as long as I can remember, tutoring has been a significant part of my life: from tutoring classmates in elementary, to tutoring algebra and pre-cal for Mu Alpha Theta. More recently, I have had the opportunity to work as a paid instructor at Mathnasium, collaborating with kids and their parents to help overcome difficulties with school material, or push even further ahead. As an instructor, I have the freedom to choose how and what students should work on to achieve given results. With greater responsibility come greater benefits for success--working with a student to overcome a year of missed material within a single month was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.

Knowledge is something which deserves to be spread,but teaching others has never been about charity. Rather, I've found that the act benefits me as much, if not more than those whom I help. Knowing a topic for a course requires a basic knowledge of its rules and mechanics, but to teach a topic forces you to understand it on a deeper, more conceptual level, cutting out all mental shortcuts to reveal the core idea. I believe that my extensive tutoring experience has given me a better understanding of math, and a deeper sense of empathy.
snibberbit 4 / 11 2  
I really like this essay! It is hard to decide how to cut it down. Maybe take out the last sentence of the first paragraph. That will get your closer to your character limit.

More recently, I have had the opportunity to work as a paid instructor at Mathnasium, helping kids to overcome difficulties and push farther aheadcollaborating with kids and their parents to help overcome difficulties with school material, or push even further ahead . As an instructor, I have the freedom to choose how and what students should work on to achieve better results. With greater responsibility come greater benefits for success--working with a student to overcome a year of missed material within a single month was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.

I am not sure how much this cuts down but it might be shorter than it is now. I hope this helps!

Would you mind helping me with my essays?

Home / Undergraduate / TUTORING has been a significant part of my life; Extracurricular Activity