Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

UMich supplement essay - Chinese-Dutch-Indonesian? cultural differences

cahyadiw93 1 / 1  
Hello everyone! This is my 250 word essay for UMich supplement.

Everyone belongs to many different communities and/or groups defined by (among other things) shared geography, religion, ethnicity, income, cuisine, interest, race, ideology, or intellectual heritage. Choose one of the communities to which you belong, and describe that community and your place within it.

Critiques are much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Every people who have visited my house always have some sort of confusion in determining my identity; even myself still encounter some turmoil when a visitor asks me, "Wilson, are you Chinese, Indonesian, or Dutch?" At my childhood, I hadn't known which culture to choose.

Maybe it's the traditional Balinese painting hanging on the wall, or the ancient wooden figurines that stands throughout the hallways, which would convince people about my Indonesian identity. Perhaps it's the Dutch blueprint of my house, or the classic chandelier lamp that hangs onto the ceiling of my house, that would give a Dutch atmosphere to my house. Or maybe it's the melody of Mandarin Chinese flowing from the speaker, playing yet another mellow Chinese pop music. Indonesian, English, Chinese and Javanese are the languages that contribute to the festivity of my house. The smell of Indonesian peanut paste over the chicken skewer and the scent of sizzling Chinese dumplings often dominate my house when it comes to dinner or lunch. Moreover, religion diversity is also evident in my house, there are people who fast during the month of Ramadan, go to church every Sunday or pray using joss stick.

Over the years, I learned that my house is a melting pot of cultures. There I celebrate Indonesian Independence Day and Chinese New Year with my friends and families. Although the sights, sounds and scents seem perplexing, I do not consider myself part of those cultures; rather, I prefer to be a link among them.

Home / Undergraduate / UMich supplement essay - Chinese-Dutch-Indonesian? cultural differences