USC SHORT ANSWER - "to initiate a movement"

jmp514 3 / 3  
Hey, any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tell us about an activity that is important to you, and why.

I have never been one to sit on the sidelines, and when I learned that my school did not have its own literary publication; I knew that I wanted to make a change. I have always enjoyed reading and exploring new worlds, and using writing as a mechanism for expression. I founded the Literary Magazine with a friend who shared the same interests as me. The goal of the literary magazine, entitled The Pequod after my favorite book Moby Dick, has always been to serve as an outlet for the students of my high school community. The Pequod allows students to speak their minds, highlight their artistic capabilities, and be themselves. I know that when I leave my school, students will still be able to feature their creative writing, photography, artwork, and have their voices heard. The fact that I was able to initiate a movement, pursue my interests, and leave a legacy behind at my school is exactly why this activity means so much to me.

Describe your academic interests and how you plan to pursue them at USC.
My main academic interests are related to English and creatively channeling my thoughts. I plan to major in either English or Creative Writing in hopes of becoming a professional writer or English teacher one day.

One of the courses that particularly intrigued me when looking through the "Courses of Instruction," was ENGL 510 Medieval English Literature and Cultures. I recently read Chaucer's Canterbury Tales in my English class and was absolutely enthralled. I would thoroughly enjoy further investigating the frequent themes of romance and chivalry that were so commonly written about and incorporated into the literature during this time. After reading Canterbury Tales, we were assigned a project to create our own story of sorts based on one of the characters that Chaucer did not include. I wrote about the missing Squire's tale and implemented the omnipotent theme of the manifestation of courtly love, and how it can take over a man's mind, body, and soul.

I do not want to simply obtain a degree in English, but have the ability to explore other platforms such as exploring creative writing, and learning about the history and arts of the English language. At USC, I know that I would have the opportunity to delve into different sectors and areas of study, all the while obtaining my Bachelor of Arts.

I want to play a vital role in USC's community, and I would love to pursue both of my passions by volunteering at one of USC's local schools. I would hope to be a part of the USC Readers Plus program so that I can tutor children, and help to build the community.
dooolele 3 / 15  
has always been to serve as an outlet for the students of my high school community.

above sentence is not clear.

i think this sentence should be better written as "I do not want to simply obtain a degree in English. I want the ability to explore..."

did well throughly explaining the prompt
wongxy 14 / 53  
has always beenis to serve

i think both prompts are pretty well answered though :)
priscileung 10 / 42  
One of the courses that particularly intrigued me when looking through the "Courses of Instruction," was ENGL 510 Medieval English Literature and Cultures

personally i don't think they need to know how/where you found the course.

both answer the prompt quite well in my opinion. i think you have too many sentences beginning with "I" in the 2nd essay though, but that might just be me and my picky-ness.
n00bl3t 3 / 30  

I have never been one to sit on the sidelines, and when I learned that my school did not have its own literary publication; I knew that I wanted to make a change. I have always enjoyed reading and exploring new worlds, and using writing as a mechanism for expression. I founded the Literary Magazine with a friend, who shared the same interests as me. The goal of the literary magazine, entitled The Pequod ( after my favorite book Moby Dick,) has always been to serve as an outlet for the students of my high school community. The Pequod allows students to speak their minds freely , highlight their artistic capabilities, and most of all be themselves. I know that when I leave my school, students will continue to have the ability to feature their creative writing, photography, artwork, and have their voices heard. The fact that I was able to initiate a movement, pursue my interests, and leave a legacy behind; this is exactly why The Pequod means so much to me.

Your answer to the prompt is direct and to the point. You were able to show a very unique activity you participate(d) and allowed further insight into your character. I think you did a job well done, so kudos! Good Luck.

Edit: if you can't really tell, um take out the "s" in voices in the line

...students will still be able to feature their creative writing, photography, artwork, and have their voices heard.

for parallel structure
No comma is necessary in this last sentence:

I would hope to be a part of the USC Readers Plus program so that I can tutor children and help to build the community.

Hey, this is quite impressive! I'm sorry i didn't get to it in time! I think it will do well, though!!

Home / Undergraduate / USC SHORT ANSWER - "to initiate a movement"