UVA supp "Discuss your favorite place to get lost"

jonnyboy2 3 / 4  
I'm miles above the earth's surface, floating leisurely on my back. Above me, millions of stars twirl and twinkle as I am alone with my thoughts. But this is not reality. As my surroundings fade, I wake up and stare up at my bedroom ceiling. "Another great dream," I think. Lucid dreaming has been a hobby of mine for the past year, and allows me to lose myself within my subconscious. It has led to more self-realizations than I had ever thought possible, and I learn more about myself with every dream. While most people do not even remember their dreams, dreaming is just as important to every person in processing the day's events and memories. I have often found that my subconscious holds more answers that I didn't even know existed and is a powerful tool in overcoming fears and doubts. While lucid dreaming, anything is possible. I have conversed with my subconscious, taken advice from it, and even explored my mind as a physical landscape! Revisiting memories as if they had happened yesterdays is an exhilarating experience, and can lead to important resolutions in past conflicts. I have discovered that losing myself in my dreams is one of the most educational habits I have, and I hope to revisit my subconscious many times for years to come.
Strawberry78 4 / 52  
How does this contribute to you as a person and how will this affect your future.
Dani1218 2 / 5  
What I like about your essay is that you didn't pick a realistic location such as Paris or Canada. You picked something that everyone can relate to, and you gave us a great description about what you think about dreams. I think your essay would stand out if you pick a "pleasant dream" that you remember so that you let the readers enter your subconscious and the readers will have a better understanding of who you are as a person.
Ravenclaw_roar 4 / 38  
hey Jonathan, contrary to what Strawberry78 said, I don't actually think that you must write about how this contributes to you as a person and how it affects your future. I think adcom wants to see an interesting and more personal side of you instead of the usual essays on personal development and growth.

I really liked your essay it has a very authentic feel! but like what Danielle said, try to write about a pleasant dream! Great job overall. Good luck with apps! =)

Home / Undergraduate / UVA supp "Discuss your favorite place to get lost"