The value of "nothing" (your latest discovery)

raza68 5 / 23  
Ok, so I am not too sure what to do with this essay. If you can let me know if it has any potential, that would be great. Also, it would be awesome if you could tell me if this essay is better or worse than my other essay on cancer (it is in a separate thread). Thanks so much!

Prompt: What's your latest discovery? What do you hope to learn next?

"Nothing", by definition, is a substance not made up of anything or an action in which a person does not do anything. But, is it possible to do or be made up of "nothing"? Look at the air right in front of you. Though not viewable by the naked eye, even the air is not full of "nothing". The air is full of an amalgam of nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, and much more. Ok, that was a trick question. Try this one. Do plants have "nothing" inside of them? Pat yourself on the back if you answered no. Plants are filled with chlorophyll and NADP that allow the plant to survive. They are even made up of "veins", water, and sugar. In essence, everything on this Earth is made up of something. Tricky, huh?

Moreover, something, by definition, is a "thing" composed of a certain substance or the act of going through an action. The question becomes is "nothing" really something? Are the two words synonyms for each other? And if so, what really is "nothing"? Why do we even have this word? Let's call up Merriam- Webster and get rid of the heinous word.

The worst part is, "nothing" has quickly assimilated itself into society. In math, second graders are taught that zero is "nothing". Later, as these second graders grow older, they quickly learn the concept of negative numbers being less than zero. Yet how can you feasibly have less than "nothing"? It is like taking away apples from a barber shop. It just does not work. Zero has to be something for the concept of negative numbers to make sense.

This has been a subject that I have been pondering for a long time. As I begin to think about it, "nothing" is, in fact, an excuse for a loss of words. The average person will say that the air is not made up of anything to not go into a scientific digression. In addition, the average person will say that he did "nothing" yesterday to eschew a long winded response to a question.

This discovery of mine has changed the point of view I have taken in life. I now understand that everything is something, and, thus, "nothing" has to be something. They are, essentially, synonyms. As a result, I now look at life as half full instead of half empty--- full of something instead of full of "nothing".

Yet I will not stop exploring in life. I plan on pushing ahead in life to be the best and most complete person possible. With an acceptance of admission from University of North Carolina, I will begin my biology major to prepare myself for the arduous journey of becoming a doctor.
Prettywings 1 / 74  
I will begin my studies in biology major to prepare myself for the arduous journey of becoming a doctor.

I think this is an interesting and unique take on the essay prompt.
DesiGirl 9 / 52  
I absolutely love all your philosophical revelations and you phrased everything so eloquently. What you're missing is the LINK between the whole nothing/something idea and your biology major. Yes, the prompt says what do you want to do next, but how does that revelation lead you to becoming a doctor. You want to explore life but I think you need to build on that and establish a link. Because as I was reading your essay, you built up so much insight and I felt it came down with the ending. That's just how I felt as a reader but otherwise I LOVED the ideas you discovered and how you proved it.
easyfu 3 / 18  
Impressive essay, it is attractive for me
OP raza68 5 / 23  
Thanks guys. Do you think that this essay is better, or my essay about cancer? Thanks again!
DesiGirl 9 / 52  
I love this essay but I think the cancer one really answers why you want to be a doctor. I would say go with the cancer one :)
OP raza68 5 / 23  
thanks a lot! I definitely agree with that!
Any other suggestions?
USMAN GUJJAR 2 / 33  
plz somebody check my Personnel essay.I need it urgent for applying in universty.
Prettywings 1 / 74  
I enjoy both, however feel that the "cancer" essay is the better of the two. Hope this helps!
OP raza68 5 / 23  
Thanks prettywings! So far, there have been 2 people that have liked my other essay, so I am leaning toward the other one!

Anyone else have any opinions?
namato 7 / 16  
Woah!!!!! I am loving this essay!! Reminds me of my own!! I talked about the concept of infinity!! I didn't go very deep into it but just enough to get someone really thinking. Your essay really did get me thinking by the way. However, I do agree with Desigirl. The transition from the concept of "nothing" to biology major is awkward. So I would definetely go with the cancer essay, which is equally as good.

Good luck to you :):):) and thank you for commenting on my Tufts essay.
OP raza68 5 / 23  
Thanks! Good luck with getting into Tufts!

Home / Undergraduate / The value of "nothing" (your latest discovery)