"visiting my grandparents" - person who has influenced me in a significant way

lt12528 4 / 8  
I always look forward to going to visit my grandparents at their house up north on ***** Lake. Each visit means a weekend of swimming, tubing, hanging out with cousins, and playing rousing games of Sequence, Golf, and Scrabble in the "bug house," the screened porch that my grandpa built himself a few years ago. Of course, enjoying the lake and having a great time with my relatives aren't the only things I've done during my countless weekend retreats. I've also had the opportunity to observe my grandparents in action at the head of the ****** clan. What I've found is that they are two unbelievably amazing people.

When I was younger, the main reason I would go visit my grandparents at the lake was that my parents needed someone to take care of my sister and I. My grandparents were always more than happy to babysit; in fact, they would often drop hints that maybe my parents needed a break from the two of us, and that the Up North Inn was always open! They would do anything to help out a family member. In fact, if there's one thing I've learned from my years of interaction with the two of them, it's how extremely important it is to take care of your kin. Family comes first, my grandpa likes to say.

My grandparents don't quit being superheroes when the leaves begin to change and it's time for the lake house go into hibernation. Never taking off their superhero capes, my grandparents zoom from one side of the state to the other, and back again, in a dizzying effort to make an appearance at every concert, competition, and graduation of each of the thirteen of their grandchildren that takes place in the void between summers. It's so cool to have my own personal cheering squad in the audience when they come to an event of mine, and even cooler when we go out for ice cream after it's over.

I'm sure there are lots of grandparents who are decidedly devoted to their families, like my grandparents are, but I don't know how many have the dedication to do what mine did in this next matter. A few years ago, my uncle was diagnosed with brain cancer. No amount of chemotherapy, brain surgeries, or hoping against all hope could save him, and he passed away (after a really good fight). Through it all, my grandparents fought beside him, proving themselves stronger than even the strongest army. They were always available to help out with anything that needed to be done, from driving my uncle to appointments to watching the three kids while my aunt enjoyed a brief respite. My grandma and grandpa's courage and perseverance in such a hard situation sets them apart from other grandparents and shows just how dedicated they are.

I may be a little biased--I do share half of their DNA, after all--but I've concluded that my grandparents are really admirable people. They can take on any role--babysitter, cheerleader, ultimate supporter--and fill it with finesse and enthusiasm. They've set a great example, and I will and do endeavor to propagate all their best qualities.
Vexxious 1 / 1  
My grandparents don't quit being superheroes when the leaves begin to change and it's time for the lake house go into hibernation. , there are multiple tenses in this statement. I would advise making it all past tense.

Try changing it to, "My grandparent's didn't quit being superheroes when the leaves began to change and it was time for the lake house to go into hibernation."

Also, when you call it the "Up North Inn" I am not 100% sure, but i believe it should be in quotations, unless they own an Inn called that and I missed it.

I like the essay and feel free to keep it how it is, this is just my two cents
OP lt12528 4 / 8  
Thanks. I think you're right about the quotation marks.
atjobsearch 3 / 6  
I really like you essay. Maybe elaborate more detail at the conclusion.

Home / Undergraduate / "visiting my grandparents" - person who has influenced me in a significant way