UF Essay - Visiting El Salvador; meaningful experience

andrea0999 2 / 3  
In the space provided, please write a concise narrative in which you describe a meaningful event, experience or accomplishment in your life and how it will affect your college experience or your contribution to the UF campus community. You may want to reflect on your ideas about student responsibility, academic integrity, campus citizenship or a call to service.

This is my essay for UF thanks for all the help!

Every summer my mother, younger sister and I visit a new country, usually around Central America. We are very close and enjoy doing much together, especially our family trips. We all share the passion of learning new things and about other cultures and exploring new places. While at these amazing and beautiful countries, we always seem to find one thing they all have in common, poverty. It wasn't until this summer until it really hit me.

This summer my family and I visited my mother's home country of El Salvador, located in Central America. While on our way to visit a small village called Juayúa, we passed by many children. One girl who looked no older than 6 was carrying what looked like a heavy basket on her head. It was filled with handmade objects to sell. They were walking barefoot over mud and rocks which cut their now hard feet. They also wore minimum clothes, you could tell that they werent the wealthiest, they also seemed to need some food and healthcare. I felt so terrible that I had the car stopped and handed the young girl and her younger brother a sandwich from the mini mart, their faces lit up as they thanked us in Spanish and ran off to share with their family.

This experience made me realize that I want to do something more with my life, I want to contribute back to my community and to others around the world to my full potential; with my career. It was then that my raging desire to become a doctor was at its greatest peak.

For me, this was life changing and inspiring. It will affect my college experience in the sense that I will put all that I have into studying in order to reach my life time goal, which is to bring my medical skills to the people of third world countries. I will achieve this goal with absolute academic integrity. I will also be a responsible, not only with my time but as a student and citizen. I have vowed to study hard in order to get where I need to be, not only for me but for the families that need my education and skills, which I will acquire at UF.

This experience has helped to push me to give back to my community for all that it has done for me and others. Therefore I will participate and contribute all that I can in activities and projects around the UF campus to help and support others and the community. I feel as if this is my call to service; I was born into this world to help others. And so, to have a good start, I plan to join the American Red Cross in time to truly share my skills with the ones that are in need and to fulfill my calling.
DRitrosky 2 / 12  
We are very close and enjoy doing much together, especially our family trips.As a result of having such close relationships, we enjoy going on family trips together.

We all share a passion to learn about new cultures and explore foreign regions.After travelling to numerous countries, we all noticed that poverty was a shared trait among these beautiful countries. It wasn't until this past summer until it really hit me.

This past summer, my family and I visited my mother's home country of El Salvador, located in Central America.
One girl, no older than 6, was carrying what looked like a heavy basket filled with handmade objects. They walked barefoot over mud and rocks which cut their hardened feet. With the absence of adequate clothing, you could tell that they werent the wealthiest.They also seemed to need some food and healthcare.Overcome with remorse, I requested for the car to hault and handed the young girl and her younger brother a sandwich from the mini mart.T heir faces lit up as they thanked us in Spanish and ran off to share with their family.
OP andrea0999 2 / 3  
Thank you so much! i really love the rewording of the sentences i appreciate it.

Home / Undergraduate / UF Essay - Visiting El Salvador; meaningful experience