'I volunteered in a Christian Church' - Temple Application :: Personal Experience

kitlau 1 / -  
When I was thirteen, my parents made an irrevocable decision to move to America within two years. The memory of starting a new life in Philadelphia still plays back in my mind. While I understood that my parents wanted me to receive a better education, I was afraid to adapt to new conditions in an unfamiliar city as it was very difficult to leave everything in Hong Kong behind. On July 20, 2008 start of my "second life". When I set foot in Philadelphia, I felt isolated and lost. I had no connections in the United State except my family, everything around me was strange. I have a hard time to adapting and I missed my hometown and relatives. I didn't want to socialize with people because and I was also afraid to speak an unfamiliar language to others.

Months later I had to face another challenge which was high school. Being an immigrant, I had to learn English at an incredibly fast rate to approach academic level and communicate to others. Initially, I was diffident and depressed because I could not express my feelings in English. By freshman year, my English teacher assigned us a renaissance project which required a presentation. During my presentation, I was really nervous and noticed that some of my classmates were laughing at my accent. Because of ridicule, I had the reason I needed to defeat the language barrier. I started to improve my English skills step-by-step by communicating with my friends and asking teacher for guidance. The past school years, I had presented many projects and I realized that I was not nervous or scared anymore and my friends were cheering at me after I finished my presentation.

Last year, I volunteered in a Christian Church, and met an accountant who was also emigrated from China to the United States. She helps me through many difficulties and encourages me whenever I am depressed; she inspired me into the field of accounting. I not only consider accounting as a major but also as my career. Although I studied Accounting I&II in high school, I also study accounting online in my spare time. I would like to attend Temple University to expand my knowledge about accounting and to be an account in the future
... I was afraid to adapt to new conditions in an unfamiliar city, as it was very difficult to leave everything in Hong Kong behind.

On July 20, 2008 was the start of my "second life".

I had no connections in the United State except my family, and everything around me was strange.

I have a hard time to adapting and I missed my hometown and relatives.

I didn't want to socialize with people because and I was also afraid to speak an unfamiliar language to others.---Well you sure picked it up fast, as your English is pretty much perfect!

Being an immigrant, I had to learn English at an incredibly fast rate to approach academic level and communicate with others.

...English skills step-by-step by communicating with my friends and asking my teacher for guidance.

During the past school years, I had presented many projects and I realized that I was not nervous or scared anymore and my friends were cheering for me after I finished my presentation.

Last year, I volunteered at a Christian Church, and met an accountant who had also emigrated from China to the United States.

This is excellent! Good luck in school and have fun!

:)

Home / Undergraduate / 'I volunteered in a Christian Church' - Temple Application :: Personal Experience