U Washington, How to contribute to this community

Baiwanyu 5 / 12  
Hi, I want to know whether I answer the question. Also please help me with my grammers and expression, I feel my essay is not fluent. Thank you very much for your help!

Maximum length of 250 words
1.The University of Washington seeks to create a community of students richly diverse in cultural backgrounds, experiences, and viewpoints. How would you contribute to this community?

I am a Chinese. I grew up in an environment that is very different from most of the world. I hope to celebrate our festivals like Chinese New Year and Mid-autumn Festival with other ethnic groups and exchange our histories and cultural heitages.

China has the largest population in the world, I hope to invite schoolmates to my hometown to see how exploded our buses and supermarkets are and the friendliness of Chinese people. Since our government practices one-child policy, I have no siblings. I want to share my loneliness and the pressure from my parents with others, and tell them how lucky they are to have sisters or brothers around.

I left my hometown to study in Singapore at the age of 15. Initially I had a hard time fitting in. I had to manage English and learn how to live in a multicultural society. I want to share the lessons and transformations I went through in the 4 years in Singapore. Since many Malays and Indians live around us, I have many anecdotes about our cultural differences to share with students in UW. Singapore values racial harmony very much, so I grew a sence of mutual respect towards other races. I hope to bring the respect to UW and encourage students to approach new encounters with a broader mind.

Finally, I am a diligent learner. I have a strong academic interest in financial mathematics. I look forward to being challenged intellectually, and challenging others in return. I hope to add to the diversity of UW.
EF_Constance - / 143  
I forgot to tell you all of this stuff.... You did answer the question. I liked that you used your entire life and culture to make your point. Good job!
"I hope to invite schoolmates to my hometown to see how exploded our buses and supermarkets are." Exploded is the wrong word here, unless you mean that the buses and supermarkets were successfully targeted by terrorists.

Home / Undergraduate / U Washington, How to contribute to this community