Yale Supplemental Essay - On Media and Social Impressions

humoresques 2 / 2  
I love pop culture; I masticate, swallow, and digest every little thing that there is to consume, from the latest breakup to a new instagram photo of a D-list actress' tattoo. Why? What's the point of going through all the trouble of learning about some vapid celebrity who has no impact on one's life? To me, it isn't that I truly, honestly, care about the person, per se; what I do care about is the impact that she will have in the long run in popular history - what will future generations think of when they hear about a certain decade or time period, and what works will truly stand the test of time? Paying attention now can certainly be a way to forecast such predictions, whether or not the choices of movie or musician will actually be iconic is up to time, and what it says about the generation from which it comes. Even though one may not necessarily recognize the impact society's entertainment choices will have on history, one can look upon history and learn from historical evidence what will influence popular social history from evidence gathered from past generations and their ideals, and how they lead to present day attitudes.

It is also important to study pop culture not only to study how future generations will view historical methods of entertainment, but also in order for one to easily understand underlying patterns, attitudes, and beliefs that build societies. Recognizing such patterns set forth by the media leads to understanding one's ingrained beliefs and attitudes in her culture, by seeing what is considered acceptable or taboo to portray. Acknowledging what drives certain stereotypes and acceptable targets of ridicule to be continually used in media can show what it means to be a member of said society, and see what is wrong with its portrayals of certain groups of people. It is important to know this in relation to popular culture and media because such stereotypes can further continue the harassment of minorities, and knowing the roots of such causes can be used to subvert these actions and create a better society wherein such disparities in media representation become weaker as awareness spreads throughout the general population. However, these oppressions should not be viewed in a vacuum; instead, they ought to be intersectional, with overlapping degrees of the causes and continuing forms of disenfranchisement of racial, sexual, and gender minorities. Using intersectionality to discuss and dissect such motives can ease the way for better representations of minorities and allow for a reconstruction of social commentary which includes the frank discussion of privilege and the rights of human beings, and leading to a greater presence of social justice in communities and a better understanding of the connection between privilege and representation.

So instead of rolling eyes at the latest gossip rag, consider it as a social testament; pick it up and read it for the public good. Understanding today's culture will lead to a better tomorrow.
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  
This is a very interesting topic. On the subject of pop culture, you have chosen a very broad spectrum of people, media, music, tv, literature, products, etc etc. So, I assume you are trying to relate all of pop culture to society as a whole. I think that pop culture is a mixture of two things 1) It is what manufacturers are trying to sell to us, to influence us to act/be/think a certain way, and to purchase items that celebrities endorse. 2) It is a reflection of our society, and class system, of which every type of group and person is somewhere/somehow represented in the media- through film, music, TV, books, talk shows, reality shows, etc. Therefore, you can draw some conclusions about our society just by observing and following celebrity behavior. There are some things you say in this essay that go "off track" and I think you could stay on the topic if you avoid these statements) Paying attention now can certainly be a way to forecast such predictions, whether or not the choices of movie or musician will actually be iconic is up to time, and what it says about the generation from which it comes. and It is important to know this in relation to popular culture and media because such stereotypes can further continue the harassment of minorities, and knowing the roots of such causes can be used to subvert these actions and create a better society wherein such disparities in media representation become weaker as awareness spreads throughout the general population. Try to not ramble, be clear and concise, and be specific. I think you are speaking in to broad of a sense, maybe you should use some small examples of how hollywood relates to the real people.

Good luck :)

Home / Undergraduate / Yale Supplemental Essay - On Media and Social Impressions