Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

"Youth Leadership Program and more" - UF admission Essay.

swooshnic21 4 / 1  
I need some help with this Essay.

Describe a meaningful event, experience or accomplishment in your life and how it will affect your college experience or your contribution to the UF campus community. You may want to reflect on your family, your school or community activities, or your involvement in areas outside of school.

Over the past two and a half months I have written many essays. Some of them were for colleges and some of them were for scholarships; each was on a different topic. This essay, however, will be on what I think has been the greatest experience of my life and has prepared me for college the most.

For the past 6 years I have participated in a Youth Leadership Program that involves teaching and umpiring kids for baseball. Throughout the years, I have witnessed the ups and downs of this program and of the people involved. I have learned that parents and coaches can get extremely involved in the game and can get carried away in a negative way. They can get out of control and start screaming at the kids, which is where I come in and try to diffuse the situation. Most of the time I can successfully calm the individual down, but occasionally, I will have to throw a parent or coach out of the game, which makes the children feel terrible.

Opposed to these negatives are the positive side of things; the looks on the kids' faces when they make a good throw to get someone out or if they get a good hit. Many times after a kid makes an error or wrong play I will stop the game and explain to the kids what were wrong and try to teach them the right way to play. I also teach them about good sportsmanship, which I think is very important in this day and age of rich and self absorbed athletes. The kids have grown to like and respect me since I have advanced throughout the years, growing up with them. I am there to stick up for the kids and to be their leader on the field and off. Sometimes I will see one of the kids at the mall and they will stop to talk and introduce me to their parents. I know the kids look up to me so I always try my best to set a good example and to live up to their expectations.

This experience has taught me how to be a good communicator and has given me extra confidence when I am dealing with teachers and other adults. It has also taught me to look at things objectively and to keep a cool head under pressure. I am ready to take on all of the challenges ahead of me at the University of Florida.

Home / Undergraduate / "Youth Leadership Program and more" - UF admission Essay.