Home / Writing Feedback % width   Posts: 2

IELTS Task 2: Advantage/Disadvantage on longer life expectancy

mmatmmee 3 / 3  
One of the consequences of improved medical care is that people are living longer, and life expectancy is increasing. Do you think the advantage of this development outweighs the disadvantages?

The advancement of medicine has had significant impacts on many aspects of society. One of the most obvious effects is the increased life expectancy of the population. While some people consider this development a benefit, I personally believe that the drawbacks outweigh the advantages.

As people live longer, countries will inevitably face the challenge of an aging society. In other words, an aging population brings about rising costs to society. As citizens grow older and weaker, the tax burden on society increases. If a large portion of the population is elderly and retired, pension costs and taxes will rise, creating a heavier burden for younger, tax-paying individuals. Additionally, older members of society require more specialized care as their health deteriorates, leading to higher medical costs due to increased demand. For example, nursing services for the elderly in Thailand are currently inadequate due to the growing number of aging citizens.

On the other hand, the increasing number of older people can offer some benefits to society. Firstly, longer life expectancy allows older individuals to pass on knowledge and help train younger generations in their respective fields. For instance, many traditional crafts require wisdom passed down through generations. If people live longer, these original techniques can be preserved and shared with younger generations. Furthermore, advancements in the healthcare industry could also be a positive consequence of an aging population, benefiting future generations as they age.

In conclusion, while there are a few advantages to longer life expectancy, the disadvantages, such as higher tax burdens and increased healthcare costs, outweigh the positive aspects. It is crucial for governments to address these potential drawbacks before they become major societal issues.

Holt  Educational Consultant - / 15200  
There is always a specific format that should be followed for optimum scoring potential with every task discussion requirement. In this case, a comparison discussion that supports the writer's opinion at all times would be the best opinion presentation. A written debate would help you increase the C+C and TA score of this essay overall. To accomplish that, you must discredit the perceived advantage for what it is in your opinion, a disadvantage. The first sentence should introduce the advantage, the second explains why the public see it that way. Then, by the 3rd sentence, you should present why you see it as a negative, following it up with an explanation and an example that proves your point. Stick to the defense of your opinion in the 2 reasoning paragraphs. That way you do not stray from your given point of view in the first paragraph. When you deviate from your discussion, the chances of your essay not receiving a passing score increases.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Task 2: Advantage/Disadvantage on longer life expectancy
Need professional help with your assignments? Fill out one of these forms: