Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

Advantages and disadvantages of gap year after young people finishing their study in high school

amrillahmk 29 / 47 6  
In some countries, young people are encouraged to work or travel for a year between finishing high school and starting university studies.

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages for young people who decide to do this.

The gap year before taking third-level education in some countries is harnessed by the youth to take a chance in either working or travelling. I would argue that the option simultaneously brings merits and drawback. In terms of benefits, young people will get such a memorable memories when they decide to travel as well as valuable experiences and some money when they opt to work; however, there is also disadvantage, such as they feel reluctant to continue their study.

With regards to advantages, many young people harness this gap year for working in fields that they are very interested in or traveling to some new places. For example, those who choose to work before taking tertiary education will get involved in a work, feeling the exposure in this situation would lead to gaining new precious experiences and insights as well. Subesequently, they will garner some amount of money, which they can save for admission fee when entering university. Another advantage is young people can also opt for exploring new locations that they have not been before. As such, it will absolutely bring memorable memories and they could understand themselves better due to experience in travelling.

However, there is also a demerit that young people will get if they are not paying attention carefully, which is the volition to continue to study. Taking my friend named Uwi as an example, they decided to exploit this gap year by doing some paid work. Feeling preoccupied with her job due to generating some money, she started thinking to deter her study, and as yet she has not entered University to pursue her higher education, which I think more important for young people.

In brief, there are advantages and drawback when it comes to harnessing the gap year after finishing senior high school. The youth should be wise to utilize this situation, otherwise it would bring disadvantage. Moreover, the examples of merits and demerit that are mentioned should be taken into consideration for young people

Home / Writing Feedback / Advantages and disadvantages of gap year after young people finishing their study in high school