Home / Writing Feedback   % width   Posts: 2

Application Fee Waiver (cold email)

dscaisy 1 / -  
Subject: Request for Application Fee Waiver

To whom it may concern, I hope this message finds you well. My name is ___ , and I am excited about the possibility of applying for the Computer Science undergraduate program at GIST for the academic year 2025. I am writing to request a waiver for the application fee due to my current financial situation.

I aspire to take part in projects like the Baeummadang since they closely align with my personal values to be dedicated to both scientific advancement and social responsibility. I am also particularly interested in the research conducted at GIST, such as the development of a laboratory-based Ambient Pressure X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (AP-XPS) system capable of operating at significantly higher pressures than traditional XPS systems. This advancement allows for the analysis of materials under more realistic conditions, potentially leading to breakthroughs in various fields such as catalysis, materials science, and environmental research. The efficiency and innovation in GIST's research make it a top choice for my undergraduate journey.

Unfortunately, my mother, who is my primary financial supporter, earns approximately 1 million Rupiah on a good day from her food stall business. This income is inconsistent and must also cover our daily living expenses, including groceries and other necessities. Therefore, GIST's 680,000 KRW application fee would cost me around 7,900,000 IDR, which is more than half of a month's minimum wage in Indonesia. Due to this situation, I am having to shorten the list of programs I am applying to and prioritize those with fee waivers. While my uncle has kindly agreed to support my university tuition and accommodations if I am accepted, I do not want to impose the application fee burden on him as well. Therefore, I am requesting a waiver for the application fee to relieve some of the financial strain on my family.

I have attached my CV and proof of income to support my request for a fee waiver. Please let me know if there is any additional information you need.

Sincerely,
[Name]

Holt  Educational Consultant - / 15168  
The application letter does not show that you are in dire circumstances so that you cannot afford the application fee. Your letter is telling them that you can afford the fee, you just want to avoid paying for it. Your mother can earn the fee, you just don't want to burden her with it. Your uncle could pay the fee, you just don't want him to take responsibility for it. While these are admirable from a family and personal standpoint, it does not bode well for you as a student applicant. What other fees would you not be able to afford as a student? What would be next? A scholarship application because you do not want to burden your family with your academic fees? Do you see what I am pointing out here? Your reason for wanting the waiver is not strong enough because you can afford to pay the fee, you just don't want to. Try to frame it differently if you can to make it appear like you have no other option but to apply for the waiver.

Home / Writing Feedback / Application Fee Waiver (cold email)
Need professional help with your assignments? Fill out one of these forms: