Essay: "What is art for me?"

Power_Hammer 1 / 1  
Hi, can you give me some creative criticism on my work? I'm first year english philology student in Bulgaria. That's my last work and I hope you like it. I'll be glad to take some advises ;)

What is art for me?

"All art is quite useless" O.W.

What is art? Can we give a current definition of something so abstractive and unboundless like that? In our modern world, everything which is not understandable for the mass audience automatically receives the label "Art" from his creator. Maybe art is something which is not for everyone. You can find lots of popular definitions on the internet, on google.com and wikipedia, also lots of quotes of famous people of art. But what is art for the normal people? The people who don't know what "linocut" or "still life"is. The people who are just walking the street, watching the shop windows of the art galleries, while going to work, waiting to be amazed by something or someone new.

The people which are not artist and their jobs are not connected with art are more and more rarely seen in galleries and art museums, because the everyday life smashes them. When you don't have time for the gallery-art is to time to search for the art around you. The modern pop culture provides us lots examples of street pop-art. They are very well accepted by the young audience and it's also used by the mass medias for advertisement.

The first and one of the most popular kinds of pop culture is the art of Graffiti. Graffiti are paintings, which are most often painted on the walls of buildings and trains, usually for a very short time. Lots of people can call it vandalism, but that doesn't remove its art statement. In the graffiti the receiver of the painting's and the painter's message is not a current person, it's everybody which are seeing it. Here the painting can not be sold, its only porpoise it's to inspire and to provoke the audience. The graffiti artists don't have names. Their works are anonymous or if there is a name, it's a nick name. Only here we can talk about " art for the art", and not for "art for the educated". People without education deserve to have a touch with art, no matter if they understand it, or not. Interesting fact is that many famous painters had started their "carriers" on the pavement in front of museums and art galleries, with a piece of chalk in their hand, waiting to be noticed.

The modern industry is using the graffiti for merchandising, because that's one very original and perspective way to attract the social group between 13 and 30 years, usually computer game players and fans of the underground music culture.

Another very modern at the moment act of art is the art of movement or, the so called "freerun". Young people jumping and running from roof to roof just to create something beautiful. The free runners are trying to master the unity between body and spirit in order to move in a fantasy way. The unity between mind and body is called by the eastern monks -"nirvana". The monks were trying to reach it through meditation and self privation, two things that are hard to be done in nowadays. Freerun is like ballet and acrobatics in one. The mind's will to fly and the body's duty to obey the mind's will. If there is will and the body is not capable of proceeding it - the connection is failed and the message from artist to viewer is not send. Here the piece of art can't be sold either, because it stays no longer then a second, a second which says a lot of things: training, discipline, bravery, flow, art, madness, speed, will adrenalin and further. Lots of music stars are using free runners in their clips in order to manipulate the audience to unconsciously bind the rhythm with the freerun movement, which they see on the screen.

Another piece of art which we can not see in the art galleries are the martial arts. Legacy from the ancient east that brings us lots of knowledge about spirit, mind and discipline. For most of the people it's hard to talk about art here, cause there is nothing artistic about two people hurting each other. But here the beauty of the act is not for the eyes. When you see a ballerina or a free runner you are amazed by her or his elegant movements. Here the pleasure is for the eyes. But when you see a boxer or a mhuai-tai warrior fighting on the ring, you see only blood and sweat. Where is the art here? The important thing stays behind the violence wall we see. Behind every athlete's punch, kick or movement are staying hundreds hours of hard training, pain, mental tiredness and guts. The art here stays in the way that the athlete converts something so primal and savage like the clear and uncounterfeit physical pain into a noble masterpiece of mental and physical unity.

After all this said in conclusion I can say that art is surely not for everyone. Art is something which is for those which are not with open eyes, but with open minds. Minds open for assimilation. Assimilation of different shapes, dimensions, and perceptions. From the examples above, I can also say that art is also an act of giving a small part of yourself in order to express through the art piece. The portrait of Mona Lisa in only a portrait of a woman, is also a portrait of Leonardo's need to express himself through color, composition, shadows and brightness. When we are seeing the picture, we are not staring just a landscape or portrait, we are observing the artist's needs and emotions reflected by the needs of society for art.

No matter if the artist is Leonardo Da Vinci, Mozart, Huddini, DMX, Alla Pugachova, Rahmaninov or an old shaolin monk art is art. Maybe not for me, but for the others. Maybe not for the others, but for me. Art is a way to live forever through your work and thoughts.
Angela629 9 / 86  
wikipedia.org

"still life"

The people who are not connected to artists nor are their jobs are less likely to show up in gallaries and art museums because everyday life smashes them.

The first and one of the most popular pop culture is the art of Graffiti

Art is something for those who are not with open eyes, but with open minds.

When we see the picture, we are not looking at just a landscape or portrait, we are observing the artist's needs and emotions reflected by the needs of society for art.

Except the second paragraph, I think you did a pretty good job in you essay. I can see the types of arts you are trying to convey and the your sense and definition of arts.

However, I do not see the linkage between the first paragraph and the third paragraph. You did not say why people stopped going to museums and why people start to like street-art instead. I think you should elaborate more on those 2 points in your second paragraph.

But anyway, good luck with your last piece of work.
Angela629
OP Power_Hammer 1 / 1  
Thanks for advice, what do you want to say with the quotes? Those are the parts, which you like or don't like ?
Angela629 9 / 86  
Those are just some mistakes you made.

Home / Writing Feedback / Essay: "What is art for me?"