Automatic translation between different languages - is it possible nowadays?

Keith817 2 / 2  
Some believe that the development of technology and improved software allow us to translate between languages automatically. Therefore, it is not necessary to learn foreign languages any more. Do you agree or disagree?

Nowadays, advanced technology has been invented to assist human in solving problems such as language barriers. Software, such as Google translator, is introduced to translate any language to other languages. However, in my opinion, I believe that it is important to master foreign languages although we have lots of machinery which can support us with the language difficulty. We can't rely on the existing technology because of its limitation and language could reflect our culture and creativity.

First at all, the translation software has only basic function with limited features. Most of the commercial software provides the conversion function between words, but they cannot translate a full sentences without any error. The conversion of a sentence is difficult for robot as languages have their unique structure and grammar. Besides that, the software hardly interprets synonym, which is a similar meaning with different words. Many synonyms have similar meaning or definition, but they are only applied in certain situation.

In addition, a language should not been stored or programmed in a software as it cannot reflect the culture which is hidden in the language. It is important to learn a language because the learning process allows us to explore the development of the languages. During the learning process, we could understand the culture of a race which has been using the language for thousands of years. Besides that, the machinery is unable to present the language creatively as human, or precisely poet or comedy. Language is not only used for communication purpose, but also for entertainment.

In conclusion, we should learn the basic of the language before we could rely on the technology. It is true that translation software has provided many conveniences, but they are not perfect tool which could totally replace a human being to use a languages. Certainly, it is important to learn a language to reflect the culture of a race, and also the creatively of using the language.
Hi Kieth, I think you will be quite happy to know that you did very well in this practice test. So well in fact that this is the first time that I will find myself giving an overall band score of 7 to a student at this forum. Let me break the scoring down for you over the 4 required elements.

Task accuracy - 7 - You have clearly presented a clear overview of the topic. There is an enhanced feel to your summary statement because you broke down the discussion that you would be presenting in the body of the essay into short, summarized presentations in your overview statement.

Coherence and Cohesion - 7 - There is a clear progression in your essay. You did not deviate from the prompt in your discussion per paragraph and you showed that you have the ability to discuss your ideas in a logical manner. There was a clear use of cohesive devices which were used in an acceptable manner.

Lexical Resource - 7 - The use of some advanced words in relation to technology and language learning earned you some pretty high marks. There was a flexibility in the way that you portrayed your discussion and you used some less common lexical terms like synonym and phrases like "programmed in a software" along with "translation software" and "precisely" to name just a few.

Grammar Range and Accuracy - 6 - You have a pretty good mix of sentences in the essay. The sentence structure problems relate to certain mistakes in the use of certain words. However, these mistakes did not affect the overall meaning and presentation of your work. So this is the only portion where I would score you less. However, your work was pretty consistent in this essay.
Hi Keith, I believe this is the first time I'm providing my review to your essay and I hope it will be valuable to your revision.

- been invented to assisting human in
- any language to other languages(-this is not necessary as you have established your idea ) .
- However, in my opinion, I believe that it is important to
- whichthat can support us with the

- has onlyone basic function with l
- the conversion function between words,
-but they cannot translate a full sentences without any error.
- The conversion of a sentence is difficult for a robot
- but they are only applied in a certain situation.

There you have it Keith, I hope the above remarks are helpful to your revision and upon completion of the review, I must say, you missed a few linking verbs here and there and though they are minor, it would be good to keep them included in the sentence in order to make sure that the sentence is complete.

Home / Writing Feedback / Automatic translation between different languages - is it possible nowadays?