IELTS 2. We have become depended upon bad news and the mass media are aware of this.

MaximKlopunov99 13 / 22 4  
Can you give me all your suggestions about this essay and the average score, please.

News editors decide what to broadcast on television and what to print in newspapers. What factors do you think influence these decisions? Do we become used to bad news? Would it he better if more good news was reported?

It has often been said that ŤNo news is good newsť, because it's not sold very well. On the other hand, bad news is so ordinary that in order to cope with it, we often simply ignore it. We have become depended upon bad news and the mass media are aware of this.

While newspapers, tabloids and TV stations may aim to report world events accurately, be they natural or human disasters, political events or the horrors of war, it's also true that their main target is to sell their product and gain new listeners or readers to their stations or newspapers. For this reason TV and radio shows attempt to disfigure authentic news and provide attractive news to their audience. Programmes specialising in pop music or TV soap operas focus more on celebrities news, scandals and up-to-date traffic reports. The more serious stations and newspapers like to provide Ťso-calledť objective news reports with editorial comment aimed at analysing the situation.

As can be seen from the above, newspapers and TV shows are tailoring their news to their viewers' and readers' preferences, how they are supposed to report world events in an honest and objective light. Many radio and TV stations do, in fact, report items of good news but they no longer called this news. They refer to these as human interest stories and package them in programmes specialsed, for instance, in consumer affairs or local issues. Good news doesn't come to us in the form of documentaries. They struggle against children cancer or AIDS, or the latest developments in the fight to save the planet from the environmental pollution.
akbartaufiq25 7 / 81 54  
Glad to read your essay again, Maxim! None of the strengths of your previous writing are lost in this essay. It still retained the simplicity and the well-constructed ideas with a good transition between each sentence. There are some minor problems, but I only find one or two in this essay, I am sure that the other members will give their additional inputs to your essay. Well, here are my notes:

"For this reason,(separate it with a comma) TV.."
"..celebrityies news, scandals, and up-to-date.."

Be cautious with the use of punctuation. Try to re-read the essay by yourself once you have finished writing. You will be accustomed seeing your mistakes and gain more caution during the process of writing. This will enhance your writing skill as well as the ability to proofread people's essay.

As for the score, I cannot help that much since the IELTS is quite new to me and I never follow the test nor taking an IELTS preparation course. But I am sure that there are some members of EF who understand IELTS more than me. If you like to hear my opinion about what score suit to this writing, I give you 7 out of 9. Cheers :D

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS 2. We have become depended upon bad news and the mass media are aware of this.