E books versus paper books. Cause and effects.

sinchana2017 7 / 18  
More and More people prefer to read e-books rather than paper books. What are the reasons for this? What problems this can cause for libraries?

electronic or real books?

With the prolific advancements in technology, there are a number of gadgets which replace the paper books and provide online books to the reader. I would discuss several precursors to this issue, such as readability provided by e-books, followed by the adverse effect of e-books on libraries.

There are evident reasons as to why the paper books on the shelves are replaced by the e-books. First and foremost, the ease of e-books provides more flexibility and wider options to the e-reader. Furthermore, the e-books look similar to any other books which can hold 100s of books in its electronic device. A good example is a survey conducted in 2015 to draw the comparison between e-books and paper books. The result reveals that more than 60 % of the respondents are in favor of e-books, and consists of a higher percentage of elderly people, who are more comfortable with e-books as they can zoom the letters while reading which is highly beneficial. Another prime reason is the accessibility of books at the touch of a button through the internet which reduces the boredom of visiting shops and purchasing the books.

However, the outrageous advantage of e-books is having a negative impact on libraries. This can be attributed to the popularity of e-books which are attracting many readers and in turn leave the libraries empty. Even though, this kind of situation prevails there are some people who are comfortable and prefer to read only paper books for the look and feel it provides. Furthermore, there are some historical books which are not available over the internet and can be found only in the libraries which still hold the prime focus of old libraries. In Canada, after the advancement of e-books, some libraries lost the visibility and forced to shut down, while old libraries which exist from ages still have a great importance.

All in all, e-books have proved to be exceedingly important in this modern world, however, libraries which persist from ages still have its enormous significance.
Sinchana, I am afraid that in terms of task accuracy, you will not score higher than a 2. I know, it is a failing score. I am sad that you got this score because I was hoping to see improvement in your this practice test. However, I had no choice but to give you this score because of the fact that your response is not in accordance with the prompt requirement. In fact, it is barely related to the task give to you for discussion. While you were able to properly discuss the reasons behind the popularity of ebooks when compared to hard copy books, you did not give a proper response to the part about "What problems this can cause for libraries?"

So, what problems can it cause? The problems are numerous. Some of the problems can be:
1. Lack of interest among people to go to the library because ebooks can be accessed from any gadget.
2. Lowering of the number of people who use the library because people no longer need to check out books using a library card.
3. Insignificance of library material because the ebooks can provided updated information faster than regular books.

Those are but a few of the correct responses that you could have presented for the second half of the discussion. While you could have scored better in the other parts of the test, the fact that you failed to properly discuss the topics of the essay automatically lowers your possible score for the remaining parts. Since they do not totally relate to the question provided, even your LR, CC, GRA scores will be adversely affected. You cannot be scored highly in those parts because of the prompt deviation on your part.
OP sinchana2017 7 / 18  
Thanks a lot for your constructive feedback.
I was not aware of these many days what mistake I was encountering while writing an essay. I have attempted IELTS couple of times and always failed to achieve band 7 in IELTS writing. Somehow I found this site which is really helpful. I have 15 more days for my exam and hope I will correct my mistake within this timeframe and clear my exam this time.
If you have only 15 days left before the test, we do not have enough time to fix your problems. That is not to say that it cannot be done though. That just means that we have to work twice as hard to help you pass the test. The first thing that we have to address is your problem in understanding the prompt requirements. You have to learn to find the keywords in the prompt that will allow you better develop your answer. For example, in this prompt, the keywords are prefer to read, e-books, paper books, reasons, problems caused for libraries. Once you know what the keywords are, you will be able to assess the proper method of responding to the essay. The question posed becomes clearer. I strongly suggest that you develop this skill by writing at least 2 essays per day and reading more sample IELTS tests either at this forum or through other sources. It is important that you read the advice given to previous test takers and understand the suggested improvements for their work. That will also help you to discover your problems and how to fix it. Don't worry, I for one will be here for you every step of the way while you practice for your test. I won't quit on helping you if you don't give up on yourself.
OP sinchana2017 7 / 18  
@Holt,
Sure. I will follow all your instructions.
I will also post my other essays which I have already written, along with this I will make sure that I will write 3 essays per day without fail.

I will not quit Holt and thanks a lot for giving me the confidence and helping hand.
akbarmappiare 31 / 469 275  
Hi Sichana, I am gonna try offering improvement for your writing.
Firstly, you unsuccessfully paraphrase the statement given. I don't know what you catch from prompts. In the introductory paragraph, you said that the gadgets take over positions of the book although you should paraphrase "readers tend to read e-book rather that paper books". Actually, you have to harness impressing the examiner in the first sentence. However, you make a mistake which can alarm the examiner for reading detailed your writing. Even the examiners can know what you will explain in the body paragraph because you have shown misinterpretation in the beginning sentence. I suggest you provide your time for analyzing the matter before you write this.

There are evident reasons as to why the paper books on the shelves are replaced by the e-books

It seems clear that you explained the different matter. Actually, you can harness your idea for answering the prompts, but you have to modify your first sentence in the first body paragraph. You can say that the readers are more likely to read e-books than the hard books because the e-books can be placed in the smartphone.

Turning to the second body paragraph, you reviewed the primary role in the two last sentences although the prompt is about the impact of a tendency for reading e-books. Please, you are aware of the prompts. Although your grammar is safe for this matter, but your score will fall down because of your explanation out of the topic.

Hopefully, you can consider my suggestion for the next writing. I believe you can master this section if you wanna observe examples of writing task 2 and practice more.

Happy Writing
GOOD LUCK
OP sinchana2017 7 / 18  
@akbarmappiare
Thanks for your detailed explanation on making me understand about my mistakes.
Will work on these things and try to produce a better piece of essay.

Thanks & Regards,
Sinchana

Home / Writing Feedback / E books versus paper books. Cause and effects.