Cell phones have some benefits, but they increase car accidents. TOEFL integrated essay

NourNour 22 / 39 7  
Summarize the main points of this reading passage and explain how the points made in the lecture cast doubts on them.

In this set of materials, the reading passage claims that cell phones have some benefits, but they increase car accidents especially when they are used by drivers. However, the speaker casts doubts on the claims of the author. She asserts that car accidents are caused by many factors other than using cell phones while driving.

First of all, the writer states that cell phones are the main reason for car accidents. In contrast, the speaker refutes this point of view by affirming that a recent study has proven that 80 percent of car accidents are due to drivers' inattention. Most drivers are distracted by many common activities such as changing the radio station, talking to passengers, reaching for falling objects or even using the GPS.

Furthermore, the author avouches that mobile phones should be restricted while driving. However, the speaker doubts this idea by affirming that the use of cell phones on highways saves many lives. For instance, the use of them to report about car accidents reduces the time of intervention which saves many lives. Mobile phones are also useful to call for help while having mechanical issues with cars.

To sum up, the benefits of cell phones outweigh their drawbacks.

• reading passage

• audioscript
Ssakshijain 28 / 146 87  
However, the speaker doubts this idea by affirming that the use of cell phones on highways saveshas saved many lives. For instance, the use of themcell phones to report about car accidents, road hazards and rash drivers reduces the response time of intervention which saves many lives.

you need to summarize, not to give your own opinion. So in conclusion, write :
To sum up, the speaker has outweighed the drawbacks mentioned by author in the reading passage by refuting them with explanations. Something like this.

It was a good attempt but somehow I feel you can explain more. Hope this helps :)

Home / Writing Feedback / Cell phones have some benefits, but they increase car accidents. TOEFL integrated essay