SAT essay: Is censorship sometimes justifiable?

puroodsy 3 / 16  
Hello,

This is another SAT practice essay from me. I personally feel that the third point is not really strong. Can you give me some suggestions, about my command of language, as well as content? Thank you so much!

Topic: Is censorship sometimes justifiable?

According to the United Nation, human rights include freedom of speech and freedom of expression. Based on this definition, many people believe that censorship is a flagrant infringement on human rights, and thus it should not be tolerated. However, I believe that censorship can be justified. Through a discussion of censorship of history textbooks in Japan, censorship against racism in Singapore and move ratings, this essay seeks to show the benefits of censorship to the community.

The censorship of Japan's war crimes in Japan's history textbooks shows us that censorship is necessary to preserve national pride. In all history textbooks used in Japan, atrocious war crimes such as their cruelties in World War II, most notably the systemised raping and pillage of Japanese soldiers in the rape of Nanking, China, are only briefly mentioned as parts of the wars, all the grotesque details prohibited. Though China accuses Japan of distorting history, this is necessary to maintain the national pride in Japanese students, especially for those younger students whose opinions and impressions of the country are still in the shaping. Therefore, the censorship can be justified if it is used wisely for the good of the nation.

Censorship is also justified in Singapore to ensure social cohesion and racial harmony. In a multi-racial country like Singapore, a caustic racist remark can trigger conflict that threatens the social cohesion that took Singapore decades to cultivate. As such, the Media Development Authority (MDA) prohibits the use of derogatory language or insensitive remarks against any races in any form of media, be it printed media like newspapers or the new media- the Internet. This ensures the mutual respect between different races, and thus protects social cohesion in a fragile society like Singapore. Therefore, in cases like this, censorship should be justified.

The movie ratings system is the most common type of censorship, and it is reasonable as it protects the minds of the young against violence and sexually explicit materials shown in movies. Massive research done on movies containing violence, foul language and sexually explicit materials has shown that exposure to such materials at a young age can lead to psychological instability for viewers and make them more prone to committing juvenile delinquency. As such, the movies are often rated from Parental Guidance to NC17, M18 and in some countries R21, to protect viewers from viewing dangerous materials unsuitable for their age. The movie ratings system thus is a necessary form of censorship to bar the young from being exposed to harmful materials through movies.

Overall, censorship is justified in many cases, as it seeks to maintain social stability, racial harmony and to protect the young minds from dangerous materials in movies. However, once misused, censorship can violate human rights principles of freedom of speech and freedom of expression. Due to the complexity of censorship, the government needs to be prudent in using censorship to the best interest of the society.
thobie - / 3  
I think you essay was fine, you could talk about cencorship being used in interest of national security like informations used for capturing soldiers. I think you should try and go for and against, then you could conclude on where you stand. It always look good to deal with both side, how cencorship is sometimes not needed. Overall a great essay!
OP puroodsy 3 / 16  
Thank you for your feedback! I agree that showing both sides gives a more balanced point of view, but I was advised not to do so in SAT essays given the time constraints. Anybody knows whether this is a correct way to write for SAT?
According to the United Nations , human rights ...

move ratings movie ratings

I think body paragraph #1 is the weak one. Do you know that saying about knowing your history so that you are not doomed to repeat it? For Japan or any other country, national pride is NOT a good reason to justify censorship. The whole point of free expression is to preserve truth. It is no good to pretend atrocities did not happen.

censorship is necessary to preserve national pride

Th rest of the essay is brilliant, and I see that you write very well. The only part I take issue with is the nationalism part. It would be nice if the world consisted of a single, great nation.

:-)
OP puroodsy 3 / 16  
Haha yep, I suppose I'm not on the side of Japan in this matter. But if I highlight the Japanese perspective in the first paragraph, would the argument stand? Or do you suggest any other points I should consider? Honestly censorship and media-related things are not my forte -.-

Thank you so much!
Ha ha, well you hit the most important things, I think. Censorship protects children and those who would be persecuted (i.e. I would not mind seeing the ku klux klan censored, even though I believe in free expression. It would be nice to see hurtful expressions silenced, but we all know that is a slippery slope toward having all our free speech suppressed.) I just think the thing about national pride does not fit. Not for Japan or any country.

:-)
OP puroodsy 3 / 16  
Alright, thanks :) I will pray that censorship won't come out in the next SAT haha :D
Well, it's not actually a difficult topic. It's an easy one to write about because its complexity is deep, with lots of implications. It's like a song that sounds great on your guitar.

Read a little of the work of Hobbes, stuff about the PURPOSE of government. Government is established to protect people, as they trade a bit of freedom for a lot of security. So, an argument could be made in favor of censorship in some circumstances. Yet, we know it has inherent evils. The ability to censor is an ability that can be used to gain tremendous power, which someone (I think Roosevelt) said "has always been the enemy of liberty."

Anyway, you have nothing to worry about! You write very well.
renga78 6 / 18  
You can take up the internet censorship that china practices for a very long time. It would bring you a lot of point if you do a little research.
renga78 6 / 18  
Hi Jesslyn,

I became a fan of your writing. I read your other posts. It was very interesting to read them. I wonder where do you collect all the information you need with respect to your topic.

I request you to continue to write even after you clear SAT.

Thanks,
Renga

Home / Writing Feedback / SAT essay: Is censorship sometimes justifiable?