Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

In the charts: British pupils who were able to communicate different languages than English

Pan113 1 / -  

proportions of British students speaking foreign languages

The two pie charts illustrate the percentage of British pupils who were able to communicate different languages than English at one university located in England, in the years 2000 and 2010.

Overall, Spanish was more prevalent among students compared to the other language in both years. Strikingly, the proportion of German users remained constant, whereas the remaining student groups witnessed significant changes.

In 2000, 30% of surveyors were capable of using Spanish, which doubled that of Another language speakers and tripled that of Two other languages users. Surprisingly, there was an increase by 5% in students speaking Spanish, another language, and two other languages, which were 35%, 20% and 5% respectively after a decade.

By contrast, the percentage of responders who can not communicate in any language except for the native one accounted for 20%, which was 5% higher than that of pupils speaking French. The figures for no other language plummeted considerably to 10%, comprising one-fifth of the students in total. Additionally, a similar pattern was witnessed in the percentage of French speakers. The rate of German users still stayed unchanged at 10% over the period.

Home / Writing Feedback / In the charts: British pupils who were able to communicate different languages than English