In some cities, the government try to reduce traffic by imposing congestion tax during rush hours

trancaongocthao 1 / 1  

TASK 2 IELTS WRITING: Positive or negative trend?

Question: In some cities, the government has tried to reduce traffic by imposing congestion tax during rush hours. Is this positive or negative?

Congestion pricing has been applied in a number of countries as a solution to heavy traffic in this day and age. While many maintain that it brings certain benefits, I believe that this is a negative development since it cannot fully tackle the traffic crisis and arouse deep discontent among the masses towards the government.

The main reason why I suppose this trend is unfavorable is because congestion tax alone is unlikely to thoroughly resolve the traffic problem. To elaborate, it does not reduce the people's legitimate need to travel at peak hours, thereby people remain driving on roads although they are taxed. Hence, this tax measure is considered to be costly and meaningless for both commuters and governments as it does not reach its primary goal to reduce the number of vehicles available in multiple cities.

Moreover, congestion tax would cause people's fierce discontent against their authority. This is because it puts low-income drivers under financial pressure when they have to pay a very regular amount of money each day just for movement while there are other living expenses that are more essential for them to deal with. As a result, people would question the practicality and effectiveness of this promised solution for traffic overload - congestion tax, and whether it is a disguised profiteering behavior of state officials. Once people feel their rights are threatened, they would develop hatred towards their government and stand up against it, leading to uncontrollable chaos in the community.

In short, I firmly believe this is a negative trend due to its ineffectiveness in reducing traffic as well as increasing discontent in the community. Given this situation, the government should apply more optimal measures such as investing in upgrading public transportation and investing in building bridges.

Note: Please check this for me. I really appreciate that.
in this day and age.

There is no need to add this memorized please to the sentence. It makes the sentence definitely sound ESL and kind of weakens the grammar range in terms of sentence structure and writing control. Avoid memorized please use in your essays going forward. Those are definitely score lowering references.

suppose

You cannot suppose. When you suppose, you ask the reader to consider (something) as a possibility suggested or an idea or plan proposed. while you might refer to this as a point of arguement, the score you recieve in a task 2 essay is based on the validity and clarity of your opinion. The use of this word instead indicates uncertainty thus negating your originally stated opinion.

Given this situation, the government should apply more optimal measures

The instruction does not include the presentation of a possible solution. Adding unnecessary discussion points, specially in the concluding summary will cause additional deductions to the score. By the way, you forgot to include the topic replacement before the reasoning summary.
OP trancaongocthao 1 / 1  
Thank you for all of your comments and advice.

Home / Writing Feedback / In some cities, the government try to reduce traffic by imposing congestion tax during rush hours