"Cogito ergo sum". (cause and effect)

whatisgod 1 / -  
class is 0307
cause and effect

"Cogito ergo sum". "I think, therefore I am".

René Descartes was remarkably close to the truth. Most people believe that thoughts are fleeting and have little effect on the world around us. For someone to say "our thoughts have a direct recordable influence on matter" sounds like something a mystic would say. Matter is created by the act of observation. To state it another way, our thoughts create reality. Matter is directly fashioned by the act of observation, and we observe with our thoughts. Even though it sounds absurd it is a proven fact of quantum mechanics. Matter exists for no other reason then we observe it.

Quantum physics tells us that solid matter only acts like solid matter when there is an observer present. If no observation is made of the location of an object a piece of matter returns to a state of uncertainty. "How can the scientific community know something like this?" an individual may ask. In the 1920s scientists discovered that all matter has two states of existence. They discovered that solid matter is actually constructed from a type of energy field I call potential matter. There are many names for this "stuff"; zero point energy, the field, M-brain theory, but I prefer to use potential matter. As the scientists began to study this field they discovered something strange. All of the data came back with one answer that was truly mind-boggling. Matter is only a solid thing when we observe it.

There is a famous experiment called the two slot card experiment. The most basic piece of matter we know of is the light particle. A particle of light is known as a photon. Most people know this, but many people do not know that it acts like a wave and a small ball. On one side of an experiment the photon is a solid piece of matter. On the other side of the experiment it reacts with a collector like a wave of energy. This outcome puzzled the scientists to no end, the photon changed what it were as it traveled from one point to another. The scientists then decided to peek at the photon as it was in transit to see what state it was in. An odd thing happened; the collector started receiving particles and not waves. The answer was inescapable; the particle reformed as solid matter because of the act of observing. As the early quantum physicists studied this strangeness they repeated the experiment in many ways looking for a different outcome. The outcome was always the same; the very simple act of assessing the specific location of the photon changes it from a wave into a particle. The scientist tried many "tricks" to see if the experiment was flawed in someway. Record the data but don't look at it, and the collector will receive a wave not a particle. Look at the recorded information and the collector will receive a particle not a wave.

René Descartes was correct! You only exist because you think. The outcome of these tests was conclusive. Matter only exists as matter because we observe it. If we do not think then we latterly will not exist. Mark Twain was absolutely correct as well when he said "sometimes the truth is far stranger then fiction.
Matter exists for no other reason then than to allow our observation of it.

That experiment where they say it is either a wave or a particle... depending on the observer... is something I have been trying to fully understand for years. I still have trouble knowing how they are using the words "wave" and "particle." You did a great job here of expounding the process of the experiment, though.

The first time I heard of this was in books by Deepak Chopra. Ever read his stuff? he is my hero.

If we do not think then we latterly (literally?) will not exist.

One possible misconception here is that these strange things happen at the subatomic level... not necessarily in our world, because subatomic things seem to act differently, according to my understanding of stuff I read.

This seems to need some citations! You are supposed to cite the articles where you get your info from. However, maybe this is not required for this assignment?

:-)

Home / Writing Feedback / "Cogito ergo sum". (cause and effect)